Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1951 D MM location

The MM location on this coin looks interesting to me. The top part of the D is literally inside the date. Did some research and could not find any pics of a 1951D MM as much to the north as this one is.

Thanks for looking,
    Adrian

Mon Dec 03 19-59-34.jpgMon Dec 03 20-00-12.jpgMon Dec 03 19-51-02.jpgMon Dec 03 19-51-022.jpg

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Occasionally they end up higher than normal. Not very often, but it happens.

Here is a LINK to 1953-s at VV to look through.
    If you scroll down you will see 2-3 that are almost touching the 5.

4. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Occasionally they end up higher than normal. Not very often, but it happens.

Here is a LINK to 1953-s at VV to look through.
    If you scroll down you will see 2-3 that are almost touching the 5.
    Very interesting link Cliff. I checked for 1951 D at VV here: http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...Ms%201951D.htm and although they are high none is so high as this one is.
    I wasn't aware they were even higher for the 1953 S you mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

6. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are other years where the mint mark is almost touching part of the date and is a marker for a variety. They are in most decades but I just can't remember what years they are at the moment.

8. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Very interesting link Cliff. I checked for 1951 D at VV here: http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...Ms%201951D.htm and although they are high none is so high as this one is.
    I wasn't aware they were even higher for the 1953 S you mentioned.
    Thanks,
    Adrian
    Yes but.... those listing are RPMs and doubled dies only. There were hundreds and hundreds of dies that are not varieties so they won't be listed but might have high Ds. Still I know what you are saying and agree with you, I don't remember seeing them that high on a 51-D while searching but they were pretty wild in those years in position N-S-E-W.

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Yes but.... those listing are RPMs and doubled dies only. There were hundreds and hundreds of dies that are not varieties so they won't be listed but might have high Ds. Still I know what you are saying and agree with you, I don't remember seeing them that high on a 51-D while searching but they were pretty wild in those years in position N-S-E-W.

Very good point Ed. There should be perhaps millions not being rpms and DDs not listed anywhere, so we don't have a complete reference to search for that. Although not a big deal that mm location I think its interesting the persons punching them (both S and D) liked to place them close to the date.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

12. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to find the actual specifications for the MM placement... I am just about at the point of doing a FOIA request to get the info... If memory serves me correctly they are considered normal unless the MM touches the date, rim or jacket then it becomes an error???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Jim. I have the same problem, with no specifications and reference it's hard to tell what is normal and what is not. However, what you said about touching the rim, date or bust to be considered an error "makes a lot of cents" to me... This one is really high and not being aware of such high placements it caught my attention.
    Please let us know if you find some info on the specs.
    Thanks,
    Adrian