Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 P Spike Head and plating problems.

I just found this 2017 P with what I think is another spike head; but there are plating issues right on the spot because of which I'm not sure if the crack is continuous and reaches the rim??? There is also the common crack on the bottom right corner of the shield with plating problems also associated. It's difficult for me to determine if the spots present on that rev crack are RIDBs or just plating bubbles???
    What do you think?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Tue Dec 04 06-50-56.jpgTue Dec 04 06-51-27.jpgTue Dec 04 06-48-26.jpgTue Dec 04 06-52-41.jpg

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because of it's location on the crack it it is probably a chip and not a blister.
    Poking it with a tooth pick should confirm it one way or the other.

4. Thanks VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a spike to me Adrian. Yours is similar to 2017P-10 but where JC has the white arrow just below the W, your die crack appears to be more south.

I'm with Cliff on the reverse die crack, but what I see running NE at the T in CENT looks incuse/PSD scratch. Could just be lighting glare making it look incuse though.

6. Thanks Coin5, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try the toothpick Cliff, good idea. I also think because of the location on top of the crack it should be a chip, good you said it because I was confused thinking of a retained idb. I still have problems distinguishing when they are retained or not...
    Yes, Viv I agree with u about the line running NE from the rev crack being PSD. Good thing to confirm the obv crack is a Spike.
    Thanks to both of you for your awesome help,
    Adrian

8. Thanks Petespockets55, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice spike... Looks like a new listing to me... The crack after it enters the hair on 010 branches farther west toward the west end of the W before heading off SW... You will most likely need to improve the pics tho... It is difficult to see the spike on your close up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post