Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Yes you're right, my goof.

Still, it gets struck on the coin during strike from those lines already on the die.
    Sorry about my goof too Ed! Sometimes when my brain tries too hard to think it goes in wrong directions! Coffee does help though

2. Likes GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one to tease the noodle Viv. 1946-S rpm#22 is a variety. Started by repunching of the S mintmark during the manufacturing of the die.
    The thing is , these can only be found in later die states because during the manufacturing of the die the initial S that was punched, was abraded , and die metal was drug into the punch of the S , filling it. Not until later in the dies working life did this filling metal start to break loose and come out like a die chip ( an error) and reveal the secondary S.
    Funny that it took an event , that would have been an error on any other die, to finish creating this variety.
    1946-S 022b.jpg

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    Here is one to tease the noodle Viv. 1946-S rpm#22 is a variety. Started by repunching of the S mintmark during the manufacturing of the die.
    The thing is , these can only be found in later die states because during the manufacturing of the die the initial S that was punched, was abraded , and die metal was drug into the punch of the S , filling it. Not until later in the dies working life did this filling metal start to break loose and come out like a die chip ( an error) and reveal the secondary S.
    Funny that it took an event , that would have been an error on any other die, to finish creating this variety.
    1946-S 022b.jpg

John
    Thank you John! That's a pretty incredible story about how this RPM was finally able to be seen! A common error unveiled a very cool RPM! Yours is a very nice looking example too! Hope you day has gotten better! Mine has... it just started out in a fog

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha ! Viv , my days are always a work in progress. It usually helps to let the fog lights just stay on ... that , and copious amounts of coffee !

John
    So sad ... My reverse consumption engine was a broken fuel gauge ... gonna look at coins now. John

7. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneman227 View Post
    Ha ! Viv , my days are always a work in progress. It usually helps to let the fog lights just stay on ... that , and copious amounts of coffee !

John
    That's what messed me up today... no fog lights were on a no coffee... both at the same time! Geez.... no wonder! Thank you John! I was able to fix the coffee thing... not sure about those fog lights though

9. Likes stoneman227 liked this post