Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtab View Post
    Ok, Viv. What intrigues me the most about looking at the Lincoln's, is the variation of things among them, as if they each have their own character. I love to discover new things about them. O my, I'm becoming OCD! I am not that much into bright blemish-free pennies. They look nice, but I'd get bored after awhile if that's all I had to look at.
    Look at this one for example, just found 10min. ago. Although I don't know what those ridges are on the 78 penny, it looks quite nice to me.

Attachment 137185Attachment 137186Attachment 137187Attachment 137188
    You are right! There's so much going on with Lincoln cents and that's why we are all here to ask questions and help each other out! I'm on the same boat with Cliff on your 1978. My first thought was a thumb print, but understanding error coins is really complicated to me so I have ingested very little knowledge in that area and hope to learn more!

2. Likes makecents, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the LCF... You're hooked and OCD will be the least of your worries We are all newbies in one form or another so you will fit in We may need to send Mike Diamond a PM (Private Message) to come have a look... To me it looks like some one ground the 1980 down to make a dime... The sensors that are on vending machines these days were not available in the 80s so a cent the correct diameter, thickness and close to weight of a dime would work with little or no problems!!!

Added - The 78 looks like a finger print!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank JF. Yah, I got a chance to look closer to the rim. Maybe it was a science project. I can't see someone going to all that trouble to make some extra 9 cents. But who knows.
    Well, both pennies are very interesting. Much time spent on something not worth more than 2 cents, but yet, well worth the knowledge, and the find.

About the 78 fingerprint, wondering when it was put there?

re_CM181228-180732001_zpsleqrm3zq.jpg CM181228-181346001_zpsa8yxzs0m.jpg CM181228-182144002_zpsjby6t7g6.jpg re_CM181228-182655004_zpskn1dprfc.jpg re_CM181228-182746005_zps4lradz5z.jpg
    Last edited by mindtab; 12-28-2018 at 04:02 PM.

6. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rim looks like it was filed down... In the 80s there were a bunch of things we could get from a vending machine for 30 cents so a pocket full of dime size cents that work in a machine turns out to be some serious change... Over time finger prints on coins turn dark so it could have been on the coin since it was minted... No way to tell for sure tho!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JF, I may end up keeping it together with the other error or damaged coins I've kept. We are talking serious OCD now! Some of them are really curious, and some quite psychedelic. I'm falling in love with all these Lincolns! So many things to look at. And am not just looking at coins sought after, or the ones purported to have doubled dies or other errors, ...but am finding that I HAVE to look at every one to see its saga.

I've been reading a lot of guides online, but am still having a lot of trouble distinguishing what is what (...what are those lines shooting off his forehead, what is that circle in the inside rim, what are all the jagged lines shooting in each direction, is that a doubled die or a reflection or a figment of my imagination...? etc). And then some with such beautiful colors, I would have never thought.

I started this only recently, with the main purpose to hopefully reduce one of my bills; but even if in the end I only end up making $10 of the whole endeavor, it is well worth it.
    Last edited by mindtab; 12-29-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: correction

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - you're hooked We have a Glossary (on tabs at top of page) with lots of good info in it http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-a/ for errors there is also Error Ref http://www.error-ref.com/ Wexler also has lots of info on his site http://doubleddie.com/ Make sure to check out How Dies Are Made http://doubleddie.com/58201.html All of that should tide you over for a day or two!!!
    Jim

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JF...I have about 20 tabs open in the browser. And yah, I have Wexler's site here on the left, doubleddie.com, and was going through Error-Ref.com on the right. In the middle, varietyvista and coppercoins.com and liconcentsonline.com, My head is spinning. And then am looking at my pennies here, and I see something, and it's--- oh, I saw that somewhere, but where? And also started a spreadsheet with the main errors and sought after things to keep track of the decades... Oh yah, it has tied me over, alright. Over 2 weeks now. Laughing. Thank you. I appreciate the links. I'm slowly getting to bits and pieces of understanding. Error-ref really gets into the nitty gritty of things. Now the endeavor --- to keep it all in my head and remember what is what. But then, WHat is What. I have hope.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JF...I have about 20 tabs open in the browser. And yah, I have Wexler's site here on the left, doubleddie.com, and was going through Error-Ref.com on the right. In the middle, varietyvista and coppercoins.com and liconcentsonline.com, My head is spinning. And then am looking at my pennies here, and I see something, and it's--- oh, I saw that somewhere, but where? And also started a spreadsheet with the main errors and sought after things to keep track of the decades... Oh yah, it has tied me over, alright. Over 2 weeks now. Laughing. Thank you. I appreciate the links. I'm slowly getting to bits and pieces of understanding. Error-ref really gets into the nitty gritty of things. Now the endeavor --- to keep it all in my head and remember what is what. But then, WHat is What. I have hope.
    Don't forget - Who's on first Not bad - Your head is spinning and you still have hope It can take a while to get the gist of everything... Just take your time do the reading, pull out all your hair and do it again with a cold one near by
    Jim

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is too funny, JF. Good thing I cut my hair short right after Christmas.

18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is too funny, JF. Good thing I cut my hair short right after Christmas.
    I'm almost bald
    Jim