Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unanswered: 1999 negative obverse on reverse

hello everyone, my first post so bear with me on my descriptive wording or lack of it, reverse has a negative of the obverse stamped on it, with backwards liberty pretty clear cutting through the c in cent , with the rim of the negative running around the whole coin (off set) and it looks like some of Lincolns face or maybe that would be top of his head at 9:00. so what does that all mean?99 lincoln obverse on reverse.jpg1999 obverse neg liberty through C.jpg1999 obverse negative on reverse 1500.jpg1999 obverse negative on reverse 2100.jpg

Thanks in advance

T

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 391
    Good first post.

Garage Job: Also called a squeeze job, vise job, or hammer job, this is intentional post-strike damage when a coin is smashed against another coin or object, usually in an attempt to make it look like a genuine mint error. When squeezed or smashed against another coin, a mirror-image in reverse relief of each coin’s devices will transfer onto the other. Below you can see a mirrored incuse LIBERTY on the coin as the result of being pressed into another cent.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    Thank you for your first post! You did just fine! I think every Lincoln hunter runs across one or more of these garage job cents! Here is a great website with a lot of info on actual mint errors that you might be interested in! http://www.error-ref.com/

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Welcome and don't get discouraged.
    These are very convincing and are difficult to comprehend at first. But stick with us.

6. Likes makecents, Rowdyricster, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'll be dipped in #@%&?, That had me going, Soon as I saw your reply, I walked right over to my vice and made another one, that I will keep with the other one, so no other un suspected individual will have his/her heart skip a beat when they come across one. This is why you guys get paid the big bucks.
    Thanks for getting back to me, I will keep hunting for something made in a mint and not Joe's garage.
    Thanks again

8. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    Very nice pics and great job explaining what you see!! That makes it much easier for folks to help.

10. Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Could you get a close up of STATES OF??? I do not see any apparent damage to the obv die normally associated with a garage/vice job??? You stated you made one... Did you have any damage to the obv of your coin???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 67
    Welcome to the forum! Just a suggestion. It's best not to use your email as your user name. You leave yourself open to spammers that way. Ask an administrator to help you change it to something else.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Could you get a close up of STATES OF??? I do not see any apparent damage to the obv die normally associated with a garage/vice job??? You stated you made one... Did you have any damage to the obv of your coin???
    But the duplicate rim and letters near C(CENT) are reverse and incuse?

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    But the duplicate rim and letters near C(CENT) are reverse and incuse?
    Yes they are and they are over the top of the devices but something on this one looks strange... There does not appear to be any obv damage not even flattened rims and where the rims of the base coin and the offending top coin intersect where the top coins rims exit those areas are tapered instead of flattened... Also look how deep the L of LIBERTY is incused... I would have thought that entire rim would have been crushed... Click the full obv/rev pic, click again to open it in a new tab then zoom in to 300%...Look real close at the L and rims... Who ever did this one did an excellent job!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!