Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 2017P With seemingly broader, larger and flatter lettering on the reverse.

Good morning,

I am wondering what it is that I am seeing here. It appears that the second S in States seems to be larger and perhaps flatter than the first S. The O in Of also appears to be unusually large.

Cheers!

2017PFlattened and enlargedlattersa.jpg
    2017PFlattened and enlargedlattersb.jpg
    2017PFlattened and enlargedlattersc.jpg

2. "You will also see this a lot on memorial cents. This is an area of localized reduced striking pressure. The bottom of the bust of Lincoln on the obverse die requires a lot of material to fill. Therefore, the area of ATES oF on the revese die gets reduced striking pressure in a similar fashion as the opposite side of a cud would. There isn't as much "backing" to get a full strike oftentimes.

And as I just covered in the new article, this reduced striking pressure is often not enough to obliterate the planchet striations, which is why you also see those thin parallel striations in the area."

3. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 344
    You will also see this a lot on memorial cents. This is an area of localized reduced striking pressure. The bottom of the bust of Lincoln on the obverse die requires a lot of material to fill. Therefore, the area of ATES oF on the revese die gets reduced striking pressure in a similar fashion as the opposite side of a cud would. There isn't as much "backing" to get a full strike oftentimes.

And as I just covered in the new article, this reduced striking pressure is often not enough to obliterate the planchet striations, which is why you also see those thin parallel striations in the area.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 4 Days Ago at 08:49 AM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

5. Thanks smauggie thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    And as I just covered in the new article, this reduced striking pressure is often not enough to obliterate the planchet striations, which is why you also see those thin parallel striations in the area.
    I didn't know about planchet striations. Thanks for the information.

7. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by smauggie View Post
    I didn't know about planchet striations. Thanks for the information.
    Very nice job on the pics!! Here are a couple of links to posts about Will's striations.

LINK (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...hlight=picture)

LINK (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...hread-for-Will)