Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The 59-D wheat cent up for sale in the news

Sounds a bit biased towards it being real but who knows.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...ction.all.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed!! So most peoples problem with this coin is that there has never been any more found? It will be interesting to see what it sells for though.

3. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes Dearing, Rowdyricster, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks Ed!! So most peoples problem with this coin is that there has never been any more found? It will be interesting to see what it sells for though.
    Nobody seems certain of it.

Check out:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-myster...e-lincoln-cent

5. Thanks VAB2013, makecents, Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the US Treasury Forensic Services and the Secret Service Counterfeit Division both think it's legit - and PCGS an ANACS can't decide. Both articles tell how the retired police officer got it a little differently - Coin World says he "discovered" it; PCGS's article says he "bought it" - I get it that you can buy something and then discover that it is a discovery - but something just seems fishy.... just sayin'
    Last edited by VAB2013; 05-21-2019 at 07:19 AM.

7. Thanks Dearing thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, Dearing, Rowdyricster, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Nobody seems certain of it.

Check out:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-myster...e-lincoln-cent
    Very interesting! I knew a little bit about it but not that much. A lot of money to spend on a coin most expert numismatist do not believe to be authentic.

9. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Dearing, Rowdyricster, Lunstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to get some high resolution pics of that... If a matching obv die from 59 and a rev die from 58 could be found then we would have the proofIf that happened it would be worth double any of the 43 coppers!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

11. Thanks Dearing, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have NGC and PCGS disclosed the specific reasons why they cant decide if its authentic or not? I have to admit to fool the U S Treasury and the Secret Service specialized relative departments is highly unlikely, in my opinion, however the stories sound fishy but as a retired law officer I believe the hard concrete evidence lol but I guess that means I'm biased also lol would be nice to do what Jim was talking about or another one show up just to solidify the discussion. I'd buy it if I just had the extra money laying around the house lol possibly not, if I knew the specifics of the reason why its undecided, stranger things have happed, Ive learned so far from ya'll

13. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Rowdyricster, Lunstedt, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    So the US Treasury Forensic Services and the Secret Service Counterfeit Division both think it's legit - and PCGS an ANACS can't decide. Both articles tell how the retired police officer got it a little differently - Coin World says he "discovered" it; PCGS's article says he "bought it" - I get it that you can buy something and then discover that it is a discovery - but something just seems fishy.... just sayin'
    Great point Viv!

I remember 2 articles about it.
    One of them said he discovered it searching, the other thing says he bought it for a certain price.
    If someone is bored, do some searching and link them.

I doubt the gov spent much time looking into a single cents authenticity beyond looking and weighing it but if it was a well made fake the maker could have been smart enough to buy a real blank planchet to make it from.

They did flag the fake 69 cents (a P that is doubled similar to the real 69=S DDO) but they had multiples not just one example. And to show they are not perfect, they thought the real 69-S DDOs were fake and confiscated some of them that people found and when proven wrong by experts I think they returned them.

I doubt much effort goes into fake coins. Maybe nobody would have caught those Henning nickels if he was smart enough to put the mint mark on em LOL. Some other well known fakes that were not caught might be the micro mint mark dollars (I think the gov missed em but Anacs caught it?) Or even the "omega" gold coins.

Like Jim said, the best proof would be if someone can match those dies to ones used with the right pairings.

15. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Great point Viv!

I remember 2 articles about it.
    One of them said he discovered it searching, the other thing says he bought it for a certain price.
    If someone is bored, do some searching and link them.

I doubt the gov spent much time looking into a single cents authenticity beyond looking and weighing it but if it was a well made fake the maker could have been smart enough to buy a real blank planchet to make it from.

They did flag the fake 69 cents (a P that is doubled similar to the real 69=S DDO) but they had multiples not just one example. And to show they are not perfect, they thought the real 69-S DDOs were fake and confiscated some of them that people found and when proven wrong by experts I think they returned them.

I doubt much effort goes into fake coins. Maybe nobody would have caught those Henning nickels if he was smart enough to put the mint mark on em LOL. Some other well known fakes that were not caught might be the micro mint mark dollars (I think the gov missed em but Anacs caught it?) Or even the "omega" gold coins.

Like Jim said, the best proof would be if someone can match those dies to ones used with the right pairings.
    Thank you Ed and now my curiosity is really bothering me! Don't you think that the TPG's who saw this coin would have tried to match it to known die pairs? All they needed is a couple of really good pics, then they could take all the time they needed to study it.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 05-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.

17. Thanks GrumpyEd, Dearing, makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Ed and now my curiosity is really bothering me! Don't you think that the TPG's who saw this coin would have tried to match it to known die pairs? All they needed is a couple of really good pics, then they could take all the time they needed to study it.
    They are in business to make money. if they spent all the time needed for that they will go bust.
    Even say they get $50+ (or more based on value) to grade and authenticate it they only spend a limited time on it. Do you really think they can go through every known normal die pair for 58 reverses and 59-D obverses in every state similar to that coin (thousands and thousands) and try matching it? And do you think they have examples or pics of all of that in a database to compare it to?

For the fees they are going to verify a known coin not solve a huge mystery. So their flow is probably more like "there is no such thing as a 59-D wheat" we can not verify that yours is anything we know of. Done, thanks for the 50 bucks your coin is in the enclosed body bag.
    Maybe if more turned up then they have more to go on or if there was a mint record of it.
    I wonder how those 1913 nickels got over that hurdle of being accepted as real, even those were supposedly made by a mint worker as a favor. Maybe this was similar.

To solve it someone would need to have a huge passion to know the answer and years to do it.

19. Thanks VAB2013, Dearing, Lunstedt, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Dearing, Lunstedt, makecents, mindtab liked this post