Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that we are looking at over analyzing two different ways here. It is one thing to be a brand new Lincoln searcher and never have seen a die crack or a die chip before. They are cool and amazing to see. They are extremely important markers for identifying a variety. Some of them are assigned a number and listed on websites, which again is very cool. A new person needs to know this and once they do they need to stop focusing too much on those things and move on to the next step. If they seem to be having a difficult time moving forward, then we need to help them move forward. Same thing with PSD, we need to help them move past focusing on damaged coins or they will be stuck in that spot way too long. If we do not try to help this person move forward then we are not standing up for the reason the forum is here in the first place - which is to learn all about Lincoln cents.

The other way of looking at over analyzing serves a very good purpose when we are talking about Varieties, RPM's, possible Discoveries and Errors. That is where over analyzing really pays off and people start learning more and finding great finds, and this is point where we want everyone to be at.

This is a very important topic so if Will and Jim decide they want to move it to another thread that will be fine with me too.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 05-24-2019 at 10:32 AM.

2. Thanks willbrooks, Rowdyricster, makecents thanked for this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    (My three cents worth...inflation ya know) I have been sitting back and watching where this discussion goes. My view may not be for everyone. I have to tell you though that I am tending to side with Will on this one. Over analyzing anything can not be good in the long run. At what point have you beat something to death and it is just another dead subject? Opinions are one thing, but to constantly chase something knowing that nothing will come of it is counterproductive. This particular coin is one example of what can happen. Only one or very few people actually know about this mule and how it came to be. Does it actually matter any more after 60 years? We are about into our third generation of collectors with an opinion on this coin. Nothing changes.

HOWEVER...when you are talking about this forum and the coins we tend to get and discuss, I think we really get too deep into things that really don't matter. I consistently tell folks to study the die making and coin striking details to know what is and isn't possible. Don't look too deep into things. There is tons of experience here and the answers you are likely to get are probably the best ones. Many threads here keep going and going and going and going and going, when there really isn't a need for it. There is more than enough info for folks to make an informed decision. Let's NOT over analyze things. It can be detrimental to the collecting hobby...really, it can!
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still a newbie here, and, most assuredly, a novice when it comes to any area of numismatics. Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut, but I want you to know that I have learned a great deal from you guys in the short time I’ve been here (I don't know if it's evident to you or not, but I feel I have)…not just from the input you have shared on my posts, but also from reading other threads, the glossary, and various links. Each of you (especially those of you who have been so kind to read my posts and offer your insights) has helped nudge me along. Each of us has a different style, different humor, different manner in which we approach things. But, again, each of you has helped me to one degree or another…and I appreciate it. I think perhaps the key word of differentiation here is over analyze. To me, over analyzing leads to that nice big fancy word in our glossary. Come on, let’s all say it together….pareidolia. I was overly analytical before I came to this site, thinking everything I saw was surely something big. You guys have helped me, in part, by introducing me to resources to help myself. In an effort to gain as much knowledge as I can without feeling like a leach, I’ve invested in a few books (yes, I even bought “Strike It Rich With Pocket Change"), joined CONECA and subscribed to CoinWorld. I don’t want to abuse my access to some of the most knowledgeable people in this field, but I know that when I have a question or need some guidance…this is the place to be. Thank you…all of you!!!
    Last edited by Rowdyricster; 05-24-2019 at 06:13 PM.

5. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, GrumpyEd, jfines69, mindtab liked this post
    LincolnFan
    The coin is almost definitely genuine... Legitimate? I don't know. Clandestine? Likely. Beyond that, it's an academic discussion. If it were created through most known means of counterfeiting, it would be identified as such.

What defines a "genuine" mint product? That is tougher to identify than a counterfeit coin.

IMHO, coin was probably created by a mint employee- just as many of the most dramatic mint errors in the last 50 years have been.

7. Thanks willbrooks, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, willbrooks, jfines69, makecents liked this post