Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jim for checking on this thread for Rowdy, I was wondering where it was going.

2. Thanks Rowdyricster thanked for this post
    Likes Rowdyricster liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    That may be a DDR similar to Wexlers 001 but I am not 100% sure??? On yours there appears to be a trough running from the shoulder to the end of the anomaly??? Whatever made that trough could have displaced metal???
    Thanks for taking a look, Jim. I see what you're talking about and that makes sense to me. To be honest, though, I'm still having a hard time understanding doubled dies in that area (extra knees, legs, etc) anyway. I'm sure there must be a legitimate and easy-to-understand explanation, but I haven't found it yet. How do you get an extra eyelid without the whole bust being doubled...or an ear? Doubling of just tiny portions of a device, at this point, makes no sense to me. That's why I asked for a little elucidation in an earlier post.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rowdy, I'm not good at explaining technical stuff, but the devices in the center are doubled because the die blanks are cone-shaped. Here is what they look like.

6. Thanks willbrooks, Rowdyricster thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, Rowdyricster liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyricster View Post
    Maybe a bottle of Jack Daniel's would do the trick. Made in Tennessee....southern charm in a bottle.
    I prefer bourbon, and please don't be one of those people that says JD is bourbon or I'm not going to like you anymore. as for the coin, it could be a plating blister, or die damage, or I guess it is remotely possible it is a "class 9" rotated, but I don't like the look of it for that. Like I said, in my opinion, there's nothing to really hang your hat on here, but one of the attributors may see it differently. For starters, you'll have to find another one. Now, where are my cookies?
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Rowdy, I'm not good at explaining technical stuff, but the devices in the center are doubled because the die blanks are cone-shaped. Here is what they look like.
    Thanks for that link, Viv. I did a brief read-through, but it will require more than that. I'm a little slow sometimes. I probably need to print it and spend some time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    I prefer bourbon, and please don't be one of those people that says JD is bourbon or I'm not going to like you anymore. as for the coin, it could be a plating blister, or die damage, or I guess it is remotely possible it is a "class 9" rotated, but I don't like the look of it for that. Like I said, in my opinion, there's nothing to really hang your hat on here, but one of the attributors may see it differently. For starters, you'll have to find another one. Now, where are my cookies?
    Oh, hell-o NO! Who in their right mind would ever call JD anything but Tennessee Whiskey? I really don't think it's a plating blister, but I could be wrong. I looked at it again after Jim posted and it does seem like something was pressed into it from the shoulder to the the base of the statue effectively splitting the base and leaving that distracting anomaly. Now, tell me...what kind of cookies do you prefer?

10. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, Will, I got your "hint" and looked up Class 9 doubling. Of course, I found it in Error-Ref. I feel certain I've read it before, but it just didn't stick. At any rate, I like the quote by John Wexler in the 3rd paragraph under that section. It does make a little more sense now, though.

12. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, Will, I got your "hint" and looked up Class 9 doubling. Of course, I found it in Error-Ref. I feel certain I've read it before, but it just didn't stick. At any rate, I like the quote by John Wexler in the 3rd paragraph under that section. It does make a little more sense now, though.
    Im working on redefining class 9.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

14. Thanks Rowdyricster, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Rowdyricster, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking a look, Jim. I see what you're talking about and that makes sense to me. To be honest, though, I'm still having a hard time understanding doubled dies in that area (extra knees, legs, etc) anyway. I'm sure there must be a legitimate and easy-to-understand explanation, but I haven't found it yet. How do you get an extra eyelid without the whole bust being doubled...or an ear? Doubling of just tiny portions of a device, at this point, makes no sense to me. That's why I asked for a little elucidation in an earlier post.
    You're welcome... I also have problems understanding the different classes of doubled dies... Guess I'm just to old for some things
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

16. Thanks Rowdyricster thanked for this post
    Likes Rowdyricster, VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    You're welcome... I also have problems understanding the different classes of doubled dies... Guess I'm just to old for some things
    Then there is little hope for me!

18. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then there is little hope for me!
    Little hope is better than no hope
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

20. Thanks Rowdyricster thanked for this post
    Likes Rowdyricster liked this post