Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering PCGS Submission

When photographing all the raw coins in the collection, the attached seemed to be the only one with some grade and value potential. Do you think it has a chance of drawing a MS65BN? Otherwise probably not worth it.

Thanks,
    HB
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55, mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the pics, the shinny surface looks like it might have been polished then re-toned.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, sometimes you just need to take a chance. While its hard to grade coins from pictures I agree with Ed, and even if its not been cleaned, It does not mean PCGS will not give it a questionable color. But the coin does have a big price jump from MS 64 to MS 65 so you may want to send it first to someone who has a good eye for cleaning. Not that its guarantee, but if its obvious, you will not be wasting time and money .

WS

6. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This one looks very nice. Congrats.

Bullseye toning like this one seems to be considered from an album so I think it will grade normal. And 65 Bn seems appropriate as the few nicks aren't dramatic. But as WS said, with a dramatic price jump comes increased scrutiny.

8. Likes mindtab liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is REALLY tough to get PCGS to grade anything and I mean any early cent MS65BN. I have a 1911-D RPM#2 that came out of a ANACS65BN holder. no bumps, no dings, early die state and it came back a 64BN. My experience bet against the MS65 they just have not graded many in this grade I've seen.

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the inputs. You all bring up good points. I just looked at the PCGS numbers and they have graded 1561 of these coins but only 190 MS65 and up. There is probably no hope for a 65 and with my luck it will be deemed cleaned. I do have 1 more voucher left from joining the grading club so I guess I could use that as I do not have anything else in the raw group that has enough potential to warrant getting certified.

12. Thanks Petespockets55, GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, GrumpyEd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice coin and pics... I'm no pro but I think you have a shot at the 65??? I do see some minor nicks on the O of ONE... Maybe some minor flat spots on abes ear and seeds of the west stalk??? I think Cliff is correct on the toning being from a binder but it could also be from being in a roll for years??? The toning on both sides appears to be in the same general area... If you flip the rev as it would appear on the coin the toning bulls eyes line up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, mindtab liked this post