Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1958 D die deterioration?

Additional Information
    Date: 1958

I recently bought a wheat roll with tails showing on both ends for more $ than I should have and this, unfortunately, was the coolest thing to come out of it.... I dug around our glossary and Error Ref for a couple of hours and came up empty. I added a pic of the reverse in the opposing area, was not sure if it was related to the obverse anomaly. Any help as to what this is would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Rowdyricster, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Rowdyricster, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool looking... One shiney 58D... Hard to tell if that area at the rim is in relief or incuse but I am guessing in relief??? With all the abrasions on the obv I would guess it is die damage??? Both dies are also slightly misaligned so that could make the anomaly appear more robust!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's very interesting, Jon. I've not found anything that would explain it so far, but it does seem like it's some sort of die damage. I like this kind of thing. It can be very educational.

6. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Cool looking... One shiney 58D... Hard to tell if that area at the rim is in relief or incuse but I am guessing in relief??? With all the abrasions on the obv I would guess it is die damage??? Both dies are also slightly misaligned so that could make the anomaly appear more robust!!!
    Thanks Jim!! Definitely in relief. I just thought is was very interesting and being on a BU coin helped to rule out PSD. It got my attention because the original rim looks totally intact and this looks almost like an additional rim but bleeds off of the "L". You are probably right with die damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyricster View Post
    That's very interesting, Jon. I've not found anything that would explain it so far, but it does seem like it's some sort of die damage. I like this kind of thing. It can be very educational.
    Thanks Rowdy!! I thought I might run across an example on another site but did not. Just like any die damage, it's like a snowflake, no two exactly alike...