Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Unanswered: 2019-D penny -partial beard or bird

This 2019-D has a bird flying on its neck, sort to speak. It's not a scratch, or a smudge. Looks like a fuzzy 'raised' area, the way it does on shields; hard to tell. What do you think it is ?

my_photo-122.jpg my_photo-126.jpg my_photo-123.jpg my_photo-124.jpg

my_photo-127.jpg

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 70
    There is some damage to the coin around the same area but cannot tell for sure what it is. I think the bird looking area you are talking about is just a plating blister though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 101
    Cool looking... On your full obv pics it looks raised (in relief) but on the close up it looks flat... To me it looks like a stain... There are some other spots in the area of the neck... Looks almost like a marker ink!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I don't know, but I don't think there is any 'ink' on the coin. I think it's more because of the light (or lack of light when really close). I used a small magnifier placed on top of the coin, and it actually makes any areas, like the beard, or the hair, or cheeks, the same dark smudge look when using the closeup.

Here some pics with just the microscope, and moving an LED external light around at different angles.

my_photo-123.jpg my_photo-124.jpg my_photo-125.jpg my_photo-126.jpg my_photo-127.jpg

And here, with the closeup lens on top of the coin, below the microscope itself.

my_photo-130.jpg my_photo-129.jpg my_photo-128.jpg