Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Mint mark gunk question.

Every once in awhile you find a wheat cent with black substance in and around mint mark. I usually use a toothpick and carefully dig out gunk. Sometimes a toothpick or rose thorn etc... isnt enough. I dont like using q-tips for it will mildly scratch surface even for as soft as it is. My debate is whether or not to use some type of glue to pull it out. Glue discolors coins in a way but is there a certain type of glue that will not affect color of coin and just remove the black gunk. I just found a 1927 S and the mint mark is really small to be able to dig out gunk. The mink mark looks like it might be an RPM. The bad part is I noticed someone prior used something that scratched around area a little. It looks like toothbrush scratches. So.... any ideas of a cheap way to take care of the problem?

2. Thanks GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful, if it's stubborn and you try too hard sometimes you end up with no toning in the spot or the gunk was there before toning so that spot looks bright when you get it off. I've boiled a cup of water in the micro then let the coin sit in it, that softens the gunk for easier picking.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It may take a long time to get the gunk removed... With stubborn gunk all you can do is remove a small layer at a time... Soak the area for a minute or so remove a layer then repeat... The wooden toothpick and green thorn should work the best... Use a qtip, don't rub it just drip, to put acetone on the area... Like Ed said tho removing it may leave a nice brite undesirable spot!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Thanks GrumpyEd thanked for this post
    Likes GrumpyEd, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    It may take a long time to get the gunk removed... With stubborn gunk all you can do is remove a small layer at a time... Soak the area for a minute or so remove a layer then repeat... The wooden toothpick and green thorn should work the best... Use a qtip, don't rub it just drip, to put acetone on the area... Like Ed said tho removing it may leave a nice brite undesirable spot!!!
    It already had that bright undesirable spot along with scratches. I wasnt to happy about it but what ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    It already had that bright undesirable spot along with scratches. I wasnt to happy about it but what ever.
    To bad... All you can do then to prevent further damage is to go slow... So slow a snail would appear to be flying warp one
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    To bad... All you can do then to prevent further damage is to go slow... So slow a snail would appear to be flying warp one
    The last snail that messed with this must of been named turbo

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    The last snail that messed with this must of been named turbo
    Jim

12. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post