Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Practicing photos.

Heres some nickels I have been practicing on clearer photos of mint marks. The first one is a 1957 D looks tilted and second one is a 1955 D possible D/S variety. I just wanted to see if I could make a good photo of these. Let me know if photos are good or needs more improvement. Just trying to capture detail better and making lighting the best I can for best outcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not about greatness but on the impact of good onto others. It is a matter of how much one shines. Explains why I like shiny coins.

2. Likes Maineman750, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics. Not my area of expertise, but both look just slightly out of focus. Then again, it's also possible I am an alcoholic with scars on my corneas and 20/500 vision.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks Jacob thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    Nice pics. Not my area of expertise, but both look just slightly out of focus. Then again, it's also possible I am an alcoholic with scars on my corneas and 20/500 vision.
    No not your alcohol it's me with trying to get focus to the best of my ability. Your Majesty lol
    Life is not about greatness but on the impact of good onto others. It is a matter of how much one shines. Explains why I like shiny coins.

6. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The second (lighter) one looks clearer to these tired eyes.

Interesting thought about this one being D/S since none (for 1957) are listed on VV. It does have a look to it but more than likely it's not strong enough to convince the attributors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    The second (lighter) one looks clearer to these tired eyes.

Interesting thought about this one being D/S since none (for 1957) are listed on VV. It does have a look to it but more than likely it's not strong enough to convince the attributors.
    The 1955D is the one I was referring to a D/S. There's quite a few for 55D. The 57 is just a slightly tilted north RPM appearance.

9. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacob...I haven't visited the photo sub-forum for a while so missed your post. Both photos are high enough magnification for showing a variety, but both are a bit blurry, maybe due to focus but more likely due to lens resolution limitations. For lighting, to show variety details well, you need to direct the light usually from one direction to emphasize the highlight and shadow details of the variety. Often this means bringing the light to a relatively low angle vs the coin surface in order to create shadows of low relief details. I'm not seeing much in the way of an RPM in either of these but they may show better with more directional lighting...Ray
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

11. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Jacob...I haven't visited the photo sub-forum for a while so missed your post. Both photos are high enough magnification for showing a variety, but both are a bit blurry, maybe due to focus but more likely due to lens resolution limitations. For lighting, to show variety details well, you need to direct the light usually from one direction to emphasize the highlight and shadow details of the variety. Often this means bringing the light to a relatively low angle vs the coin surface in order to create shadows of low relief details. I'm not seeing much in the way of an RPM in either of these but they may show better with more directional lighting...Ray
    Thanks for the reply Ray. My only issue on photos is stand isn't at a straight down angle. Stand was repaired but slightly off a hair instead of 90 degrees it's more like 80 degrees. That's why photos don't show clear on a whole coin but certain sections. It's a challenge but going to work on base section to make angle match the slight angle of stand approach. I'll figure it out but in meantime just practicing on best approach I can do at the moment. But yes need to work on lighting too. Thanks.

13. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post