Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and a Question about Checklists

Hey Everybody!

My name's Joey and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I got my first 1943 Steel Cent from a friend's mom when I was 12 years-old. The next day, I talked my parents into taking me to the coin shop and purchased some cheap Whitman folders and a bag of wheaties and then I started searching through all of the "pennies" I could find until I filled the books as much as possible. Like most kids, my hobbies and interests changed and I forgot all about it, lost my folders in the closet, and didn't think much of it again until I was older. About 20 years later, I saw a few coin dealers at a flea market and got back into it again. This time I went with the nice Dansco books and started learning the history as I collected. It's been about 10 years since then and I've finally completed my books, grabbing the 1909-s and 1877 Indian heads from a coin shop a few months ago.

I tried to move on to large cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, etc. but I've found that I really just love Small Cents and don't have much interest in the others. Although my Dansco books are filled, I know that there are a lot of different varieties out there (DDOs, DDRs, RPMs, etc.) I've got a few of these, but don't know where to start on collecting them. Currently I have a few slabbed and a generic blank Danso "Coins" book that holds 2x2's that I have them in and just written on.

My main reason for joining this forum is to meet and learn from other collectors. My first question is: Is there a preferred checklist that you guys use for varieties? I've seen the checklists on the main website of "Top 50 xxx", Millionaires, Brad's Favorite, etc. but is there one MAIN CHECKLIST that everybody agrees on and uses that has EVERYTHING? I'm sure most of us will ever even see a 1974 aluminum or 1943 copper, but I'd still like to have them accounted for on my main checklist. I'd also like to be able to go to a coin show or shop and have something to take with me so that I know what exactly I already have. You'd be amazed at the number of times I've spent good money on a nice red pre-1935 wheatie, just to get home and realize that the one I have is in better condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum and the fact that you like small cents means I like you already!!

You will find some great replies here when people check in from their summertime activities. It's easy to get overwhelmed but the main goal is to enjoy the surprise and glee from finding one before someone else does (cherry picking).

(You may already be familiar with these sites for varieties.)
    Here is a link to VarietyVista.com (V V)- http://varietyvista.com/index.htm

Here is a link to CopperCoins.com- http://coppercoins.com/advsearch.php

Here is a link to DoubledDies.com - http://doubleddie.com/228401.html

Varieties found in mint sets (From this site)- http://www.lincolncentforum.com/varieties-found-in-mint-sets/

As far as keeping track of what is in our collections some people do much better than others with a spreadsheet. (I'm one of the others. LOL)
    Some people actually have all 4700(?)+ varieties pulled together from all the sites in a master list and check them off as they are found.

Other people I've heard of that have an app or site they rely on and visit to track their finds.

3. Thanks makecents, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, WaterSport, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, Joey! There is not much I can add that Cliff (Petespockets55) has not already told you, as I search but do not collect, at least in a traditional sense. There are many here that do and am sure will give you tips. Look forward to seeing some of your finds!

Jon.

5. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, WaterSport, jfines69 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. If you're like me, as you grow in the hobby, you'll make your own checklist. As for where to start, that depends on your interests. My advice is to focus your collection on one thing at a time. Trying to collect everything is impossible unless you have unlimited money and time.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

7. Thanks Maineman750, Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, WaterSport, jfines69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    Here's what I came up with for now
    I'll put a link in case anybody wants to download it and give me feedback or customize it to fit your own needs.

https://www.7hws.com/wp-content/uplo...7/pennies.xlsx

9. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Joey. First let me say there are a few folks who worked long and hard to compile a complete list of varitities and the person who has maybe done the most is CentMD. Along with others he compiled a master list. I know he posted it at one time but I can't find it. Sounds simple, but it's not. This is because different experts used their own number systems so the same coin be listed on different web sites or books, can have different RPM or DDO #s. While each resource is great, they all lack many examples. And new coins are being discovered. So it is at best an evolving list. The other problem is that we all tend to favor certain varieties. Looking over your list the thing I noticed is that many of the coins listed in the latest Cherry Pickers Guide are missing. So you may want to hunt that book down and then have your basic Lincoln list for starters? But here again, how deep do you want to go? do you want satins, proofs, memorials, special mint marks, - again, it can get very personal so thats the reason some sort of master agreed upon list is not readily available. But it is one heck of a life goal if you got the time, money and dedication to pursue it!

Bob

11. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by altherrweb View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    Here's what I came up with for now
    I'll put a link in case anybody wants to download it and give me feedback or customize it to fit your own needs.

https://www.7hws.com/wp-content/uplo...7/pennies.xlsx
    Nice, I've been using Xcel for years as my collection spreadsheet. Once I teach myself Access, I may make a searchable database. (So many things to do, so little time.)
    I did have an MS-DOS database, way, way, back. But it wasn't supported by any version of Windows GUI. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

13. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Virtual Land of Lincoln... Lots of knowledgeable folks here as you can tell and it sounds like you just added to the lot!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

15. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post