Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 1992 Close AM

Post Thanks / Like

1992 Close AM

Does anyone have one of these or have ever seen one in the marketplace? The reason I ask is that I use the PCGS registry set named 'Lincoln Cents with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof' as the composition list for my collection. My higher value pieces are in PCGS holders but the lower value examples are raw. Unfortunately completing this set in mint state and proof is problematic as they include the 58 DDO and the 69S DDO. However, the third one that I am missing is the 92 Close AM. It seems to have a reasonable PCGS price guide even though the population report and auction history is almost non-existent.

2. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes WaterSport, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the 92 D example (as many others do) - but the 92 P is proving to be rare. That is of course unless you look on eBay as it seems every 92 being sold is a 92 CLAM LOL. But seriously A lot have sold at Great collections and here is the data. If you sign in at GC you can see the photos, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks jfines69, Maineman750, joel thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55, joel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very good. I had not used the archive search on GC before.

This coin is like several others in the Lincoln series where in my view the price guide is not reflective of the population. I suppose it is because there is a lack of interest in varieties, even though they are major varieties. An example would be the 1990 No S Proof. PCGS and NCG population together is only 340 and yet the top grade PR69DCAM is only $6400. I own an example at that level. One would wonders if supply versus demand would ever drive the values up.

6. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes WaterSport, jfines69, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But there is also the factor that some Varieties - like the 1969 S DDO and especially the 1955 DDO that the value tends to be higher than what the actual populations should dictate because they are popular beyond just variety collectors. I think the 1990 No S being a Proof coin, which many have no interest in proof coins, is what holds that value down. On the other hand I am still amazed that the 1970 S Proof and 1971 S Proof Varieties command a strong price despite the populations growing and will continue to grow and I believe are only collected by variety enthusiatist. So I have no guess as to why.

Bob
    Last edited by WaterSport; 08-01-2023 at 05:13 AM.

8. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55 liked this post