Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1916 LINCOLN PR

Post Thanks / Like

1916 LINCOLN PR

Are there any Diagnostic marks for ID on the 1916 lincoln proof?

Ken.
    "2012 Finds HERE"

2. Thanks Petespockets55, joel thanked for this post
    Likes WaterSport, Petespockets55, joel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some info that may help -
    PCGS
    Collectors forum
    Lincoln Cent Collection
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks WaterSport, Petespockets55, duck620 thanked for this post
    Likes WaterSport, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ALL the MPLs have diagnostics that tell them apart from Business strikes. Kevin Flynn's book and a small published book done by Carl Waltz jr. are excellent resources. I am not sure you can get Carls book anymore since not many were publish but Kevin is available on Amazon and Ebay. Many try to cherry pick a MPL solely based on Rims, or textured dies. Sure they may look like a MPL, But thats because they were early strikes on new dies. About 99.9% of raw MPLS on Ebay are NOT MPLs. I only heard of one confirm case of someone Cherrypicking a 1911 MPL in the wild and got it cetrified. So if you are looking to buy raw coins that are supposedly MPLs, you better know the diagnostic's.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info guys.

7. Thanks jfines69, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent thread and info, especially the links Jim provided.

Here's a link to a site I stumbled upon while looking at the links.
    It has images of markers for the 1916 proof.
    https://www.lincolncentcollection.co...cteristics.php

Here is a link to images for all the proofs:
    https://www.lincolncentcollection.co...cteristics.php

(I'm really not sure of the path I took to find those sites, but wow, those are some great images of the markers.)

9. Thanks jfines69, duck620 thanked for this post
    Likes Onlycopper, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken,

My numismatic passion is the complete Lincoln Cent series as well as a major cent type collection back to 1793. The Matte Proofs are of special interest to me as their eye appeal can be very special and their mintage numbers are not nearly reflected in their valuations. I suppose due to a general lack of interest among collectors. Bob was correct in that the Kevin Flynn book is essential if you have a serious interest in MPL. It is about $30. and will provide excellent details about mintage history and die markers.

I own the complete MPL series in PR64 and above. I am especially fond of the 1916. It is the lowest mintage of all and less than half have been certified. It is the belief of Flynn and others that many of this issue did not leave the mint or were placed into general circulation. Following is a link to the max resolution TrueView of my 1916 in PR66RB. This is one of the rare instances where the TrueView represents the look of a copper coin exactly as it appears in hand.

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.ne.../135928955.jpg

I feel the 1916 is one of the more difficult MPL to identify die markers on as you can see by zooming on on this image. The technique I use, and Flynn does also in his book, is to convert the image to gray scale to remove the effects of color. This allows you to focus on die markers and strike details for any coin.

Good luck in your future collecting endeavors.

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hbarbee View Post
    Ken,

My numismatic passion is the complete Lincoln Cent series as well as a major cent type collection back to 1793. The Matte Proofs are of special interest to me as their eye appeal can be very special and their mintage numbers are not nearly reflected in their valuations. I suppose due to a general lack of interest among collectors. Bob was correct in that the Kevin Flynn book is essential if you have a serious interest in MPL. It is about $30. and will provide excellent details about mintage history and die markers.

I own the complete MPL series in PR64 and above. I am especially fond of the 1916. It is the lowest mintage of all and less than half have been certified. It is the belief of Flynn and others that many of this issue did not leave the mint or were placed into general circulation. Following is a link to the max resolution TrueView of my 1916 in PR66RB. This is one of the rare instances where the TrueView represents the look of a copper coin exactly as it appears in hand.

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.ne.../135928955.jpg

I feel the 1916 is one of the more difficult MPL to identify die markers on as you can see by zooming on on this image. The technique I use, and Flynn does also in his book, is to convert the image to gray scale to remove the effects of color. This allows you to focus on die markers and strike details for any coin.

Good luck in your future collecting endeavors.
    Very impressive! That is fun to look at. Thanks for sharing. I feel like I'm just priced out of trying to include those.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

12. Thanks jfines69, duck620 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous coin. Thanks for sharing it.

14. Thanks jfines69, duck620 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Petespockets55,

I forgot to mention in my post that the links you provided are excellent. I had already bookmarked them. That collector put a lot of effort into setting up that site,

16. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, WaterSport, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous Coin!

Bob

18. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69, duck620 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post