Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like the chip feature in credit card, hit it with small RF power and it starts broadcasting info. We did it for 55 years on Rail Road as cars passed at 60 mph and got what was in cars, who sent it, where it is going. Not hard to do in this age of electronics. Cell phone apps that read chips. Use the foil rap or like Will just drive it over to Harrisburg distribution.
    "Good People are Great Forums" Rollem

2. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I just thought of something else. When you do a cert search, does it tell you the date it was holdered? I don't think it does. If it doesn't, then it does you no good if it doesn't activate your phone. You still won't know if the slab is counterfeit or not.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    And I just thought of something else. When you do a cert search, does it tell you the date it was holdered? I don't think it does. If it doesn't, then it does you no good if it doesn't activate your phone. You still won't know if the slab is counterfeit or not.
    I don't really know what information it gives but I doubt it gives the date it was holdered.

Are you saying the NFC chip only works if you know whether the slab was created before or after the chips were added?
    (I don't know if the chips are visible on the surface of the slab.)

EDIT: From the link above- “This will allow collectors to tap their coins with their phones and the certificate verification will pop right up. On some of the most modern smart phones this data will appear on the screen without even having to download an app.”
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 08-24-2023 at 03:47 AM.

6. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How from from the slab will the fone pick up the chip???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I tried it, I had to put my phone right up against it.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    How from from the slab will the fone pick up the chip???
    Blue tooth transmits RF signal.

You would have to have a "APP" that had the correct encoding to translate the transmitted data. Otherwise just a bunch of nothing. So if one was inclined to take chance, any response may be a 50/50+ value.
    "Good People are Great Forums" Rollem

12. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Especially the results from Will about his experience.

All I know for certain is that the person giving the warning is well respected and works for PCGS so I feel he has some unique insight.

14. Thanks Rollem, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Rollem, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    I don't really know what information it gives but I doubt it gives the date it was holdered.

Are you saying the NFC chip only works if you know whether the slab was created before or after the chips were added?
    (I don't know if the chips are visible on the surface of the slab.)

EDIT: From the link above- “This will allow collectors to tap their coins with their phones and the certificate verification will pop right up. On some of the most modern smart phones this data will appear on the screen without even having to download an app.”
    Ah, when you do a cert search, it does in fact tell you if that slab has the chip. Nice.

Edit: Sorry, but I'm actually surprised anymore when I find competence. Lol.

Edit again: As the perfect follow-up, I have 4 slabbed coins in the mail, all different packages, as we speak. The only one that doesn't have the chip is the one that's missing.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 09-18-2023 at 02:27 PM.

16. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, when you do a cert search, it does in fact tell you if that slab has the chip. Nice.

Edit: Sorry, but I'm actually surprised anymore when I find competence. Lol...
    Thanks for the follow-up. Nice to see it's helpful to someone other than the crooks.

Edit again: As the perfect follow-up, I have 4 slabbed coins in the mail, all different packages, as we speak. The only one that doesn't have the chip is the one that's missing.
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

18. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post