Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PCGS

Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO! My order arrived home today. Multiple mistakes. This is the third order in a row that was messed up. Not exactly sure what their "quality assurance" step is for other than to make sure they extract the maximum amount of $ from you. Riddle me this... What's wrong with this picture?
    IMG_20240229_175900_HDR.jpg
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

2. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    LMAO! My order arrived home today. Multiple mistakes. This is the third order in a row that was messed up. Not exactly sure what their "quality assurance" step is for other than to make sure they extract the maximum amount of $ from you. Riddle me this... What's wrong with this picture?
    That ought to count as a mis-print, and get an extra premium for it, lol
    Rich

4. Likes Petespockets55, willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I guess I stand somewhat corrected. Apparently, they holder ALL shield cents with the reverse showing. Why you may ask? I have no idea. Why would you show the reverse on shield but not on any other cents? Baffling. Especially when this is the ugliest reverse of all time.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

6. Likes BadThad, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very valuable response. Thank you, Bob. Yes, I have definitely noticed certain dealers magically have a LOT of funny colored coins. Obviously being mass produced. When they decided to start holdering these as legitimate, they really effed up in my opinion. EVERY coin with a funny color should get the same designation. There is simply NO WAY they can decide what toning is "artificial" vs "natural." Those are their terms, not mine. All toning is corrosion!
    There is no such thing as "artificial" or "natural" toning. A coin is either market acceptable or it is not. NOBODY can definitively say what caused toning (unless you toned it yourself), certainly not the TPG's. Over a decade ago the big TPG's decided to implement a set range of MA toning according to THEIR standards. ANY coin, regardless of the source of the toning, that falls outside their ranges gets bagged. That DOES NOT mean the coin is not MA, all it means is it didn't fall within their window of acceptance for toning.
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

8. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadThad View Post
    There is no such thing as "artificial" or "natural" toning. A coin is either market acceptable or it is not. NOBODY can definitively say what caused toning (unless you toned it yourself), certainly not the TPG's. Over a decade ago the big TPG's decided to implement a set range of MA toning according to THEIR standards. ANY coin, regardless of the source of the toning, that falls outside their ranges gets bagged. That DOES NOT mean the coin is not MA, all it means is it didn't fall within their window of acceptance for toning.
    You explained it much better than I did. Thank you! Great stuff.

10. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Ken. Grades are in. My 2014 DDO got a 65RD! Better than I expected. That isn't the highlight, though. I'll post the full results in a bit. This is my first submission where I don't feel butt-hurt overall, so good! Lol.
    THIS IS THE FIRST 2014-ddo iv'e seen with the rev as the headliner, mine has the obv like it should.(you may have a package error)

looks like grades are nice 2014p-ddo is really great.....congrats.

ken.
    "2012 Finds HERE"

12. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duck620 View Post
    THIS IS THE FIRST 2014-ddo iv'e seen with the rev as the headliner, mine has the obv like it should.(you may have a package error)

looks like grades are nice 2014p-ddo is really great.....congrats.

ken.
    Interesting! I was looking on Great Collections this week and all the shield pennies were reverse up in the PCGS holders. Maybe YOURS is the packing error? I don't get it. Why is this the only coin ever with the reverse forward? Makes no sense to me.

14. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they started slabbing the shield cents with the reverse facing up back when they were "new." And then...they never went back to the obverse.
    MS65RD is great on the 2014 ddo! That's a great variety, and one that I'm looking to acquire one day.
    Congrats

16. Thanks willbrooks thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DCW View Post
    I think they started slabbing the shield cents with the reverse facing up back when they were "new." And then...they never went back to the obverse.
    MS65RD is great on the 2014 ddo! That's a great variety, and one that I'm looking to acquire one day.
    Congrats
    I have all three 2014 DDOs in high grade. Again, it is a funny thing that only one of them is awarded the coveted FS#, when all three are awesome.

18. Likes Petespockets55, DCW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I'm glad I looked at this thread. I sent in two packages. One -20 coin economy, the other - 2 coin re holder, both coins 1936-P DDO-FS-102 Buffalo's. Both packages left here 2/27/2024 and arrived on the 3-1-2024. The 20 coin is still basically - It's arrived but nothing done. The re holders are already in re encapsolation - I didn't need re grade I just wanted photo's and the proper variety on the holder. We will see if that young man they have doing there video's knows the difference on this minor DDO. I'll be pissed of if they come back without the variety... Then another fight with PCGS. I'm hoping for no problems.. With luck all will be fine...

20. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post