Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1943P JN ddo-17/rpm-8

Took the day off Friday and went to the big local coin show. Found a few minor LWC varieties and briefly looked at some things other than Lincolns and found this.

RPM-8 DDO-17

1943 has over 70 RPMs so luckily I did not need to search long before finding a match.

I am guessing late state die because of the ragged serifs on the letters. My pics mostly don't capture the doubling except for the T of LIBERTY which seems fairly dramatic, yet Wiles doesn't even show it.

The RPM almost seems like a die chip and the obverse doubling is quite slight.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TPring; 10-06-2023 at 09:45 PM.

2. Thanks Petespockets55, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get a chance to compare for the DDO (and not master die doubling) but since it is an RPM as well I'll say congrats. Makes for a nice visit to the show.

(I once won a complete set of BU War Time nickels in a Capitol Plastics Holder and thought I had 7 varieties in it, out of 11 coins! Four did turn out to be varieties but three were the result of master die doubling. Luckily someone on that forum knew Jefferson nickels had a lot of Master Die doubling.)

4. Thanks TPring, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post

(... Four did turn out to be varieties but three were the result of master die doubling. Luckily someone on that forum knew Jefferson nickels had a lot of Master Die doubling.)
    I went back to that table [coin show] the next day to search for more JN varieties and found some more doubling, but because it was so minor I just left them.

edit: not aware of any JN MDD
    Last edited by TPring; 10-14-2023 at 07:00 PM.

6. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good match to me as a later die stage!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!