Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 1956 D RPM?

New Around Here
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1956 D RPM?

Hey all. I am brand new to coin collecting. I bought a roll of uncirculated 1956 D cents. I stuck them under my cheap scope and came across these two. I was curious if either of them may be RMMs, or what might cause the mint marks to look a bit off on the bottom left of the D. Thanks for the patience with a newbie.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. "Yours do indeed look like very minor re-punched mintmarks (RPM's). As a new collector, you will find that the punching into the die was extremely important to how it looked on a struck coin. There will be plenty of variations on any denomination. A good strong hammer strike by the technician resulted in nice looking mintmarks. Multiple attempts to punch the mintmarks, or the depth of the punches usually led to the RPMs you will find."

3. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 400
    Yours do indeed look like very minor re-punched mintmarks (RPM's). As a new collector, you will find that the punching into the die was extremely important to how it looked on a struck coin. There will be plenty of variations on any denomination. A good strong hammer strike by the technician resulted in nice looking mintmarks. Multiple attempts to punch the mintmarks, or the depth of the punches usually led to the RPMs you will find.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

5. Thanks enamel7 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, enamel7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 62
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the find.
    (MustBeBob is not an average Bob and knows his "stuff".)