Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 1909 VDB

Post Thanks / Like

1909 VDB

Something don't look right with this coin, it almost looks cast or something, when I look at the so called 100% positive feedback, 99.9% is from the same buyer, red flag there right away, I did bid on one of his/her other coins only to regret it. Seller says after 3 days of no payment, they will cancel the sale and relist it. Could I get negative feedback from that? Thanks folks, you are awesome!!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18626356338...AAAOSwRstlqaJn
    Rich

2. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like that coin personally. As for nonpayment, they can cancel for nonpayment after 4 or 5 days. The rules changed recently. But if you don't pay, it counts as a "ding" against you. I forget what happens after a couple of dings, but if you get cancelled for nonpayment and get dinged, no feedback can be left on either side.
    I just had a buyer not pay recently, and I dinged them. Unfortunately, I got $40 less when I relisted.
    Last edited by willbrooks; 01-28-2024 at 02:50 PM.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks rlmillerjr, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes rlmillerjr, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted the seller and he was kind enough to cancel my bid, I am guessing that won't count against me. I did a little research and if you get 2 dings, it can affect you ability to buy stuff as sellers some times block buyers who don't pay. If he would not have cancelled, I would have paid for the item, no other choice, and if my suspicions was right, I would have left negative feedback. But seller was very gracious, but be careful with this one...
    Rich

6. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, the picture above, you can see the hair like stuff from the gloves, so you can rule out distortion of the coin pic, have a great day folks, thanks Will!
    Rich

8. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmillerjr View Post
    I contacted the seller and he was kind enough to cancel my bid, I am guessing that won't count against me. I did a little research and if you get 2 dings, it can affect you ability to buy stuff as sellers some times block buyers who don't pay. If he would not have cancelled, I would have paid for the item, no other choice, and if my suspicions was right, I would have left negative feedback. But seller was very gracious, but be careful with this one...
    That's right. In your settings you can block buyers who have 2 dings. I couldn't remember. You should set your settings that way if you haven't already.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Thanks rlmillerjr, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the easiest ways is to buy it, then return it as counterfeit after you receive it....I have done it several times without a hitch.....one time the return address was a pub in London and I thought no way....but my refund was issued

12. Thanks willbrooks, rlmillerjr, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, rlmillerjr, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    One of the easiest ways is to buy it, then return it as counterfeit after you receive it....I have done it several times without a hitch.....one time the return address was a pub in London and I thought no way....but my refund was issued
    I bet you waited to give feedback until after your refund, I wonder it the seller got duped and didn't realize it, or if they tried to pass it off to someone else knowingly. Hard to trust folks these days, but getting your refund does bode well.
    Rich

14. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmillerjr View Post
    I bet you waited to give feedback until after your refund, I wonder it the seller got duped and didn't realize it, or if they tried to pass it off to someone else knowingly. Hard to trust folks these days, but getting your refund does bode well.
    I don't think I was able to give feedback...really don't remember....another time I got a 1909-S vdb from a dealer....he had stated "not sure"....and when I told him it was counterfeit , he tried to use that as a defense....didn't work....eBay sided with me...that gave me confidence in buying with mediocre pics....and I've gotten some good deals that way

16. Thanks rlmillerjr, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks to be a counterfeit according to NGCs website... The dot next to the V is in the wrong spot!!!

Added - Since the coin in question is a Philly mint I went to PCGS and looked thru their samples and compared the V.D.B. The dots do not appear to be in the correct position and the angle of the lower bars on the D and B do not look correct either!!!
    Last edited by jfines69; 02-07-2024 at 04:14 AM.
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

18. Thanks rlmillerjr thanked for this post
    Likes rlmillerjr liked this post