Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: New? 1955-D BIE

Post Thanks / Like

New? 1955-D BIE

Additional Information
    Date: 1955

I picked this up off eBay. I think it is a new discovery. I can't find it in Cohen or Hardy or on CoC. There are quite a few 55-D BIEs so it's surprising to find anything new. Below is a detail of the BIE, and go to this link for the full obverse in HiRes:

https://easyzoom.com/image/515761/album/0/4?mode=manage

Attached Images Attached Images
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

2. Thanks pdi thanked for this post
    Likes pdi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, that is one awesome picture there, not to mention a nice coin, how did you take that pic if you don't mind me asking? Thank you in advance!

Rich
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mind at all! The technique is a culmination of more than a decade of work in selecting equipment and methods to present an image of a coin with enough resolution to see all the details and die markers in a single image for each side of the coin. To do this, I use:

1) A superb high resolution camera...the Sony A7Rm4, 61MP (9504x6336 pixels) on Full Frame sensor
    2) The world's best macro lens...the Nikon Printing-Nikkor
    3) Panorama stitching...a 2-tile vertical panorama, with coin nearly filling the 9504 horizontal pixels. I would not need to do this if the camera had a 9504x9504 pixels square sensor, but until that's available, stitching gives the best resolution
    4) Focus stacking...I shoot ~24 images for each tile in the panorama, total 48 images. I then use software to select the in-focus pixels from each image and combine them into a single image with everything in sharp focus.

It sounds complicated, but I've got it down to where it only takes a few minutes to shoot such an image. It actually takes longer to upload the ~90MP file to EasyZoom than it does to create the image! The result is pretty cool, as you can view any part of the coin with enough detail to see all the die markers and details. I think it's far better than what has been done traditionally with single images of specific details and markers. Many folks have commented that the images are mesmerizing, and some folks have spent hours looking at them. I've posted quite a few on EasyZoom. Hopefully you've looked at some of the others. I am particularly fond of VEDS coins so I've shot a few of them. Even I get mesmerized looking at those.
    Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

5. Thanks rlmillerjr thanked for this post
    Likes rlmillerjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    Don't mind at all! The technique is a culmination of more than a decade of work in selecting equipment and methods to present an image of a coin with enough resolution to see all the details and die markers in a single image for each side of the coin. To do this, I use:

1) A superb high resolution camera...the Sony A7Rm4, 61MP (9504x6336 pixels) on Full Frame sensor
    2) The world's best macro lens...the Nikon Printing-Nikkor
    3) Panorama stitching...a 2-tile vertical panorama, with coin nearly filling the 9504 horizontal pixels. I would not need to do this if the camera had a 9504x9504 pixels square sensor, but until that's available, stitching gives the best resolution
    4) Focus stacking...I shoot ~24 images for each tile in the panorama, total 48 images. I then use software to select the in-focus pixels from each image and combine them into a single image with everything in sharp focus.

It sounds complicated, but I've got it down to where it only takes a few minutes to shoot such an image. It actually takes longer to upload the ~90MP file to EasyZoom than it does to create the image! The result is pretty cool, as you can view any part of the coin with enough detail to see all the die markers and details. I think it's far better than what has been done traditionally with single images of specific details and markers. Many folks have commented that the images are mesmerizing, and some folks have spent hours looking at them. I've posted quite a few on EasyZoom. Hopefully you've looked at some of the others. I am particularly fond of VEDS coins so I've shot a few of them. Even I get mesmerized looking at those.
    Sweeeeeet, thank you!! Holy cow, that is an expensive camera, might take me 10 years to save up for that one, man I would love one though, nice!
    Last edited by rlmillerjr; 03-08-2024 at 01:49 PM.
    Rich