Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Antoni Gaudi inspired numismatic art

Antoni Gaudi-Wikipedia
    (He is popular in Spain like Frank Lloyd Wright is here.)

Sagrada Familia- Gaudi's 142 year project.

Well, I finally got around to making a piece for my son to commemorate our trip to Spain in 2022. It was a lot of fun with "tapas and beer" walks lasting hours.

In Barcelona, we went to the Gaudi Museum, the Sagrada Familia, and toured one of the homes he designed. My son doesn't know I picked up two of these tokens which, unfortunately, were dispensed by a "gumball" type vending machine which explains the nicks.

I took some images of the interior of the home, including the newel posts which I used for inspiration for my Gaudi token "display.
    Gaudi liked flowing designs. At the home he designed, it was difficult to nearly impossible to find a square corner. He liked round or flowing designs with lots of glass and ceramic tile for wall finishes.

Anyways, I've included some images of Gaudi's staircase including the newel post. Notice the large handmade ceramic tiles lining the stairwell.

I didn't have any real Spanish cedar, so I had to make do with some clear cedar that used finger joints to join the pieces together. The finger joint material actually gave it an interesting look.

(Remember when you see my creation, No, I didn't use an earthworm as a model for it. LOL)

2. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, willbrooks, makecents, joel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The church is fantastic, beautiful architecture! One of my builders just came back from Spain, said he enjoyed it but hated the plane ride of 16 hours. That is not your typical newel post, for sure. Very nice job on yours!

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is really nice looking!
    Rich

6. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.
    There was a tremendous amount of sanding to get the dings and nicks out.
    It was fun but the cedar is very soft and I hope it doesn't scratch too easily.