Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I say something controversial?

I kind of don’t like Class 6 doubled dies. (Gasp! I know!)

Maybe I should rephrase that. Class 6 doubled dies are probably my least favorite class.

I think it is the lack of separation in the doubling. I think that because I DO like the 1909 DDO 2 - you can see a slight separation on the tail on the 9 in high grades. However, the big class 6s in the series like 1944D DDO 1 and 1925S DDO 1 don’t really excite me. Am I just a weirdo or do you feel that way too?
    Last edited by grnwavdav; 03-14-2024 at 02:55 PM.

David Miller - CONECA member

2. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes joel, WaterSport liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're late to the hate party. My opinion, which I've voiced before, is that the majority of them aren't even doubled dies. A large portion of them are just worn working hubs, with smashed devices from trying to hub improperly annealed dies, or maybe just overuse. Not really "doubled dies" at all. But this is why everyone hates me. I ruin everyone's fun.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

4. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes joel, WaterSport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    My opinion, which I've voiced before, is that the majority of them aren't even doubled dies. A large portion of them are just worn working hubs, with smashed devices from trying to hub improperly annealed dies, or maybe just overuse. Not really "doubled dies" at all.
    That is a solid hypothesis! I completely agree and support your claim. Ha!

6. Thanks joel thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, joel, WaterSport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly no one likes a DDO or DDR you have to stare at with a microscope.

Bob

8. Likes JC Stevens liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with having an opinion on these things, and I advocate it occasionally. However, I gotta ask what would you call all those coins with nice extra thickness and distention. The major ones you mention make it easy to identify them as a class 6, but it get's more difficult with more minor examples. I disagree with Will saying the majority of them are worn working hubs, or not doubled dies at all, however, I am on board with annealing being a suspect. This is where knowledge and patience comes in. This is also an area where coin condition is important as well. The more circulation damage on them, the harder it is to identify them properly. However, this is true for all the classes, not just class 6. I remember John Wexler saying that the variations of class 6 doubled dies can be quite fascinating.
    I think Wexler's description of a class 6 doubled die is the best one out there. Ultimately, if you don't like something, that is totally cool. I am sure everyone out there in this hobby has a least favorite class.

PS...I was actually amused that David DOES like 1909 DDO-002, but is not too keen over the major class 6 doubled dies. Hard to believe very slight separation on one number is better than some of the other incredible class 6 doubled dies out there. The primary point is that it is what David likes. Based on that alone, you should collect what you like.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

10. Thanks grnwavdav, rlmillerjr thanked for this post
    Likes willbrooks, WaterSport, rlmillerjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Interesting read. Thanks Bob! I need think on this for a bit. The connection between class 6 thickness and the 2006 DDO 7 “type” doubled dies is one I never thought about but the distortion is similar.

12. Likes WaterSport liked this post