Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wide AM, Close AM & '88-'89 FGs

Wrong Design & Transitional Reverses (Mini Mules): Close AMs, Wide AMs (CAMs & WAMs) and the '88 with the reverse of '89:

Through the years both the obverse and reverse of the Lincoln cent has been modified or changed altogether numerous times. The most obvious switch to the reverse was in 1959 when the Mint introduced the new memorial design and said goodbye to the wheat reverse.

Over time the memorial reverse has been adjusted and fine-tuned; James Wiles, chief variety attributer for CONECA, has attempted to document the various design alterations and has assigned them numbers (J. Wiles: www.varietyvista.com). Dr. Wiles has now documented eight design changes for the Lincoln memorial reverse and labeled them RDV (001-008). John Wexler has also documented the same changes and has them under his numbers LMRD (001-008).

With so many changes comes an increased chance that occurrences of one design being incorrectly used. These make for the way for a new category of error/varietie being refereed to as Wrong Design (WD) varieties (J. Wexler: www.doubleddie.com) or as an error: Mismatched business / proof dies (M. Diamond: CONECA ErrorChecklist). When one design meant for one year is erroneously used on another year, they are being called a Transitional Reverses (TR) (Wexler) or as an error: Minor transitional mismatches, "Mini Mules" (M. Diamond: CONECA ErrorChecklist).

These new varieties have been popular and in some cases are being traded at extraordinary premiums. The demand is spreading; old and new collectors alike are now scouring for both known Wrong Design varieties and potential new ones. For anyone that has not spent time studying methods of variety identification using the appropriate equipment, identification can be difficult. There are numerous and reliable resources available to aid collectors, here are a few: (Wiles: www.varietyvista.com), (B. Podraza: www.lincolncentresource.com), (K. Potter: http://koinpro.tripod.com), (B. Crawford: Die Variety News Vol. 1, No. 2, July 2006, pg. 10) & my site (Cuvelier: www.ErrorVariety.com).

The following information is not meant to substitute for any known resources, simply aid them. Known Transitional Reveres include: 1988P & D both with RDV-006 (1988 Reverse of ‘89); and 1992P & D both with RDV-007 (called Close AMs or CAMs in reference to the close AM). All four examples have the design for the following year (1989 and 1993, respectively). The ‘88P TR has been found in large numbers while the ‘88D TR and ‘92D CAM have been very rare with numbers in the teens; the 92P CAM has only seen two examples surface.

Wrong Design varieties have been plentiful. For unknown reasons, reverse dies (RDV-006) meant for proof coinage ended up paired with business strike obverses: 1998P, 1999P & 2000P (all called Wide AMs or WAMs in reference to the wide AM). And in two cases, the opposite has occurred, with proofs. Business strike reverses (RDV-007) matched with proof obverses: seen on the 1998S & 1999S (called Close AMs or CAMs). There has been only a small number of the ‘98S CAM proofs. Both the ‘99S CAM as well as the ’99 WAM are considered rare. The ’98 WAM and ’00 WAM have been found in large enough numbers to keep premiums relatively low in context of the other varieties mentioned. It is unknown if at other times from 1993 to 2008 if there were any other examples of dies being mixed up. It is advised to be on the lookout as the potential , while small, does exist.

The changes in design are hard to detect in full. They all involve either a modification in the font used in the designer’s initials (FG) or the spacing between the AM in AMERICA. If searching with just a loupe, be advised that a cheap pocket scope would be a good purchase; these can be found at an electronics store. Also be forewarned that there are numerous forces, whether through the minting process or from contact from consumers (Post Mint Damage or PMD) that can alter these details thereby causing them to erroneously being misidentified as a particular variety. (Inspect both the FG and AM and always keep an example of each reverse handy for comparison purposes.)

RDV-005 exhibits a shallow and delicate FG (which is often polished with a reduction in detail); and has a wide spaced AM. Used on P, D & S from 1986-1988

RDV-006 displays a more robust FG with a hooked G, (note, the FG is close to the memorial); and has a wide spaced AM. Used from 1989 – 1992 on P & D business strikes, and on S proofs from 1989 – 1992, and again from 1994 – 2008. Incorrectly found on ‘88P & D (called 1988 Reverse of ‘89); '98P, '99P & '00P (called WAM, sometimes called a type II reverse).

RDV-007 shows a low relief FG that almost appears flat on its face. The FG has been moved further from the memorial and the hook on the G has been removed again. The AM is spaced close to the point where they are almost touching. Used from 1993 – 2008 on P & D business strikes and the 1993S proof. Incorrectly found on the ‘92P & D; and the ‘98S & ‘99S proofs (called CAM).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

1998, 1999 & 2000 WAM (2000 WAM pictured) RDV-006
    Wide AM, FG is rounded with a hooked G and is close to the memorial

Normal 1993-2008 business strike CAM - RDV-007
    (also found on '92P and '92D, but very rare)
    Close AM, FG is flat, with no hook on the G and further away from the memorial

1998 & 1999 CAM proof issues - RDV-007
    1999 CAM shown

Normal proof issue 1989-2008 WAM - RDV-006

Jason
    Last edited by jcuve; 08-09-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

2. Likes MiciDragan, RiddleMeThis liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice photos. Thanks for posting them.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

1sgret
    Nice pictures Jason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic work Jason, and some mighty fine examples.
    Maybe the bosses will want to post them in LCR's resource forum.
    Hint Hint....
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    great photos - i should let you photo my collection for insurance, etc. your not to far from me.
    roger
    Roger
    ""Time and Tide wait for no man"

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the comments on the photographs!

I put together a small RDV-005, 006 and 007 side by side to add to this thread.

Last edited by jcuve; 01-07-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

8. Thanks MiciDragan, RiddleMeThis thanked for this post
    Likes MiciDragan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just updated this thread with all the information I provided on my website:
    http://www.errorvariety.com/Design/WAM-CAM.html
    I think it is clearer now...
    Last edited by jcuve; 08-08-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

copperlover
    Thanks Jason for your very clear illustrations and explanation. I will never forget a CAM or a WAM when I see one.

Lucien

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting these. Cleared up my question about a 1992 by seeing the FG initials. You always seem to post the right things at the right time.
    Cindy

Post Thanks / Like

1988 with reverse of 1989

Glad to see the thread has helped some people. Here are more details about the changes to the FG:

RDV-005: hook of the G almost lines up with the vertical bar (black arrow); no serifs (red and green arrows); close to the memorial (purple arrow); letters are low relief and thin.

RDV-006: hook of the G is shorter and does not extend past the vertical bar; has serifs on the vertical bar of the G; letters are typically more robust, thicker and rounded; also close to the memorial (NOTE: FG can be worn or abraded and appear similar to RVD-005).

RDV-007: hook of the G is short; no serifs, further away from the memorial and lower; letters are wide, but shallow.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

13. Thanks RiddleMeThis thanked for this post