Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again Jason and those pictures were spot on great examples.

CranKddd
    i've been wondering why i find a lot of these lol

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    VERY GOOD ILLUSTRATIONS!!!!! WILL CERTAINLY USE THIS INFORMATION AS TO DIFFERNIATE ALL MY 1988 and 1989 Lincoln cents!!!!! I have a "POORS MAN" 1955 Lincoln cent that needs this information!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    1989P 1DO-005 with class VI extra thickness in the date.

Great explanation. My question would be on that 1989 that seems to have much thicker numbers for the date and this classification you give it. Are they rare and if so worth more? I seem to have a great deal of these laying around and not just that year. 1964, 1982 and several others. Thanks.

66-ddr
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    That it awesome Jason... You always have a way to show exactly what your are trying to tell us... Thanks for your time and guidance!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Below are several 1943 Lincoln cents.

A: shows a coin with faint offset Die Deterioration Doubling (DDD) indicated by strong flow lines SE and present on the 4 and the mintmark (S). Being that the doubling is on the mintmark, in the same place and offset in the same direction is indicative of this type of non-collectible doubling.

B & C: show a coin with plating that has enhanced or somehow caused severe doubling. Whether it is from a corrosive introduced to the coin's surface to remove some of the old plating, or the electroplating that followed, something has caused the coin to have strong doubling on the date. Plating can be glossy, slick and thick, or thin and matte with even streaks throughout the surface. The doubling tends to have an orange peel look to it as opposed to strong flow lines. The plating can be thin enough to retain almost all characteristics of the coin's design as well as die scratches. Doubling involving plating is rampant on eBay- and is often sold as doubled dies or RPMs. Be very cautious when acquiring 1943 doubled dies or RPMs.

D: shows details of 1943-S DDO-001 for contrast between hub doubling and the previous mentioned forms of doubling.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

8. Thanks busyeye thanked for this post
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Below are closeup shots of typical die wear on nickel or clad coinage. The example used is a Jefferson nickel. The DDD can be present on either side of the device. It can appear mushy, distorted, somewhat like MD. It is often uneven and present with strong flow lines.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jason, your posts are always Awesome!!!! Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!

Alex
    Alexander Helzel
    Ecrater eBay Facebook

11. Thanks jcuve thanked for this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an article on DDD coming out in next week's Coin World. Nothing particularly original in it, but it's a useful refresher for folks who don't visit LCR.

13. Thanks busyeye thanked for this post