Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator, Die & Variety Expert jcuve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Class V (Pivoted Hub Doubling)

Class V Pivoted Hub Doubling:

Class V Doubled Dies are often referred to as the cousins of Class I Doubled Dies as they have such a close relationship. If one understands Class I, Rotated Hub Doubling, then understanding Pivoted Hub Doubling should be a snap. Both classes are rotated, however with Pivoted, the center of rotation is near or at the rim. Rotated may not always be dead center, nevertheless, as long as it is in the central area, it is considered Class I whereas anything near the rim is Class V.

The characteristics are also similar with one important difference, while it is rotated either Clockwise (CW) or Counter-clockwise (CCW), the degree of rotation (or the spread) is strongest opposite the pivot point and displays almost no doubling at the pivot point itself. Class I, even if it is mild, will show some degree of rotation all away around.

Below is a facsimile of a fictitious 1960P DDO with Class V doubling centered near the date in-between coordinates K5 and K4 near the date. K5 essentially represents an area along the rim that coincides with numbers on a clock. Notice how the doubling is not present at the date but very strong on the direct opposite side – follow it around it gradually decreases.

A similar DDO to the illustration above is 1995P DDO-001. It has its pivot point near K4 and shows strong CW doubling in IN GOD and parts of LIBERTY with lesser doubling in WE TRUST.

For clarity below is another facsimile of a fictitious DDO also with a K4 pivot point. The hubbings are colored green (first) and red (second).

Our last two illustrations are 1980P DDO-001 with a K11 pivot point showing strong doubling in the date, a little less severe in LIBETY and not at all in the motto. For contrast, 1951D DDO-001 has a pivot point near K6 and shows strong doubling in IN GOD WE, lesser in TRUST and on the Y of LIBERTY and non in the date. Notice the notching is stronger than the separation lines.

Jason Cuvelier

MadDieClashes.com - ErrorVariety.com
    TrailDies.com - Error-ref.com - Port.Cuvelier.org
    CONECA

(images © Jason Cuvelier 2008-18)___________________

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff Jason. Clear, concise and easy to grasp. Good work as usual.
    Also, on the side. I happened to of read your 2 pg bit "Understanding Die Varieties" in the new Authoritative Lincoln Reference book today. It was a great read. You communicate very well. It doesn't come easy for a lot of people. People will over complicate or rattle. I have 20 minute "prefaces" or will get lost in my own barage of metaphors.
    Rock
    Rock
    Rock
    My LCR Photo Album of Graded Lincoln Cent Cherry Picker Varieties

Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Extremely well done Jason. I would expect nothing less from you. Thanks again for all you are doing.
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, you are at the top of your class... and ours! Thank You!!!!
    Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason:
    WOW!
    roger
    Roger
    ""Time and Tide wait for no man"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ingenius Jason - I get it! Visualization is worth a thousand words. I see and understand it now. Excellant presentation!
    Kevin

Founder: Lincoln Cent Resource Brad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing work as always Jason!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason, One last question to help my understanding. I understand how the Class I DD's occur: hubs and dies rotating during the multiple annealing process; but, mechanically how did a Class V occur to produce a fan shaped pivoted doubling - weren't the hubs and dies mechanically collared together to prevent this kind of fan spread? Loose collar? I can't find any explanation to this in my reference materials.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterkm1 View Post
    Jason, One last question to help my understanding. I understand how the Class I DD's occur: hubs and dies rotating during the multiple annealing process; but, mechanically how did a Class V occur to produce a fan shaped pivoted doubling - weren't the hubs and dies mechanically collared together to prevent this kind of fan spread? Loose collar? I can't find any explanation to this in my reference materials.
    Kevin
    A hypothesis I have read (and I believe it is from Wexler) proposed that if one or more of the recessed areas that holds a lug, which are used to keep the dies and hubs properly aligned, became clogged sufficiently, this would allow the lug on the opposing side to then have enough play to rotate the die ever so gently to produce a nice Class V DD...
    Last edited by jcuve; 01-12-2010 at 07:17 PM.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbebob View Post
    Extremely well done Jason. I would expect nothing less from you. Thanks again for all you are doing.
    Thanks Bob! (And of course everyone else!) Look for Class IV (off-set hub doubling) tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by hasfam View Post
    Great stuff Jason. Clear, concise and easy to grasp. Good work as usual.
    Also, on the side. I happened to of read your 2 pg bit "Understanding Die Varieties" in the new Authoritative Lincoln Reference book today. It was a great read. You communicate very well. It doesn't come easy for a lot of people. People will over complicate or rattle. I have 20 minute "prefaces" or will get lost in my own barage of metaphors.
    Rock
    Rock
    Thanks Rock. Sometimes I am in a bit of a hurry (like tonight writing Class V), while I do contemplate and plan ahead, when I rush I worry that I am not conveying the information clearly - glad to see this didn't happen in this case.

When I approached Kevin about writing something for ARLC 2, I had no idea what to write about. I didn't think anything would actually get published so I was stumbling through the whole process for a while. "Understanding Die Varieties" was called "Misunderstanding Die Varieties" at first and I was going to detail some of my early mishaps and misunderstandings. I am still not sure how I ended up with what I ended up with as I never had a concrete plan to start with. Hopefully it helps a few new collectors get started.

Jason Cuvelier

CONECA