Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User copper_poisoning's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get a new scope (my first)!

Hi All,

I just got my first scope yesterday. I only played around with it for about 20 minutes last night. I still have to work with it and get a setup that works for me, but I was able to get this shot. I think it is good enough to post even though it is rotated a bit. It is of a 2001P-1DO-001 (at least I think it is).

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Greg. I just recently joined and got my camera just yesterday, a Nikon P90. I wondered what folks use on this forum and hope I made the right choice. What do you mean by "scope"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice picture. May I ask what scope your using? Because I'm thinking of buying one.
    Jhracing08

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Roller,

Here is a link to another forum here in which some members described their setups. Not sure if you saw it:

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/f...ead.php?t=4037

By scope I mean a digital microscope. The zoom is like 200x which is way more than I'll probably ever need when shooting coins, but I have it. Its a microscope, but it also a camera. I can take pics and video with it.

Greg
    Last edited by copper_poisoning; 02-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the one I got:
    DigiMicro 1.3MP 200X Zooming USB Digital Microscope with 8-LED Illumination

So far I like it, but I literally have only played around with it for 20 minutes.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Greg. I figured this would take some jimmying and now see that it will be a little while longer before I am ready to post. Certainly not a point and shoot job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roller,

I know some people do use a digital camera with a macro setting and a loupe. You just have to have a steady hand or tripod. I'm sure those with more experience can provide you with more tips.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    While I guess that digital microscopes will be the wavy of the future, I do have concerns with their low pixel rating for now. 1.3 MP is low in this day and age with most cameras now having at least 10 MP.

Does it make a difference? Yes, it does when you are taking pictures of notching on a doubled die or RPM. However, this can be overcome with a high magnification and 200 X is high.

ANyway, glad to see that you have joined the ranks of those who do use a microscope to look at coins. The most important thing is to have fun using it.

BJ Neff
    ANA, CCC, CONECA, FUN, Fly-In-Club, NLG & "The Error-Variety Education Consortium"

jpl6332

Latest Setup- finally revealed...

I am using a Boreal Digital 1000 Microscope with Motic Motion capture Software, I also use a Canon Rebel XT with an EF-S Macro lens and the GEPE Back Light and EZ-CUBE 12" Light Diffusion System and a NovaTron 240 Two Light back fill. Various other lights and filters. I do agree with B.J. and that is the Microscope Cameras are inferior.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome set-up Jeff! I love the lighting package!

I'm using a very basic microscope and I shoot the coin pics directly through the eye piece with a Canon digital coolpix camera. Very basic but it works well.

Kevin