Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice follow up images Cliff... I'm still in with the PSD although with the correct amount of magic mushrooms I could go with Bobs idea Could have been some ones attempt at a counter stamp... They need more practice tho
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

2. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you for the follow up pics Cliff! Earlier I looked at some different counterstamps. On your wheat I see part of a Y and part of an L and then something else. But the positioning of the letters makes no sense unless someone was practicing.

You have some really good pics, please PM Mike Diamond so he can take a look for you!

Hey Cliff, I was just surfing the web and found a very cool error collection, The Geyer Collection, there are some really cool error coins and a Lincoln cent that was struck over a foreign coin. Here's the link https://coinweek.com/featured-news/g...t-error-coins/
    Thanks Viv for the link.
    Most of us never think of foreign coins being struck at a us mint. But they were and do make dramatic mint errors as your link shows.

4. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Paid Member, Error Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reverse was struck outside the Mint by a private die (token, most likely). The obverse rested on a flat surface. It's not an error.

6. Thanks jfines69, VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post
    The reverse was struck outside the Mint by a private die (token, most likely). The obverse rested on a flat surface. It's not an error.
    Thanks a million for the input and clarification Mike.
    Confirming what was stated by many here.

Again, many thanks to all that took the time to respond.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Lincoln Cent Variety Expert mustbebob's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, thanks for the suggestion but I respectfully disagree. It is definitely a raised device of some kind and it occurred after the Lincoln die struck it. And the coin is slightly out of round.
    I'm 99% sure it is PSD (like a vise job with maybe a very small NYC token with the Y cut out?) and not overstruck by a die at the Philly mint for foreign currency (but I can't resist looking into that also.)
    The coin edge is thinnest at the "Y" from some type of compression.
    Let me address your points individually. Even though my reply was a half hearted possibility of what this was, the more I look at your photos, the more I like my explanation. everything I see can be explained by my theory

A sheared rim where the metal is pushed into the field and sticks there results in a raised area. I am seriously thinking that all of these raised areas are in fact parts of the rim that were sheared, and pushed onto the field where they stuck. They have since worn smooth. If I were a betting man, I would think all of those areas could be pried up and removed without too much effort.

There is no doubt this is PSD. Nothing I suggested would dispute that. The coin being out of round would have been a direct result of that damage.

As you noted, there is no way this is an overstrike. What looks like a Y may be a coincidence. I believe it is a center point still connected at the rim and the other two legs are part of the sheared metal from the rim. Notice that the width of all legs are different. Definitely not a struck letter. As a matter of fact, all of the 'extra devices' are attached to the rim area.

The compression you mention and the thinnest part of the coin is a result of that metal being sheared and pushed to the field.

There is what appears to be a cut into the coin near the bottom of the wheat ear.

Again, this is my guess and everyone can make their own conclusions.

I do love this coin though. This is a classic 'How's it made"...
    Bob Piazza
    Former Lincoln Cent Attributer Coppercoins.com

10. Thanks VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, thank you so much for taking the time for this in-depth reply. I have no doubt in my mind everything you mention is possible with sheared metal on rims.
    It is slightly bent and got beat up by a bully but definitely an interesting one with elements that I have not come across before.
    Thanks again, Cliff

12. Thanks mustbebob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cliff sent this to me for some pics... Very cool looking coin... To me it looks like the Japanese Yen or Chinese Yuan currency symbol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yen_sign (Y with a single line) Looks like some one tried their hand at counter stamping but didn't do so well... There is damage to both sides of the coin that appears to be where the item was crushed into the wheatie... The last pic is a 3D!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is an extremely cool find Cliff!! I really like the 3d pic Jim, nice!! I haven't pulled the trigger on that software yet but I'm going to!

16. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jim for the images and looking at this is hand. Superb angles and clarity. This is another of those instances where pictures are worth a couple thousand of my bumbling descriptions.
    I knew going in that it was most likely PSD but I was curious what the other coin/token was and
    the areas where the two designs overlapped were throwing my mind into a tailspin trying to figure out if it was the "chicken or the egg" that came first.
    Nice 3-D image of the surface but for those who have not seen it in hand the coin is not wafer thin and "crimped" at the rim as it appears in the image.
    Again great images and thank you very much. Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very welcome Cliff... Thanks for letting me take a look at it... It is not wafer thin... That appearance on the 3D image is just one of the limitations of the software and hardware (Me) It is thinner from damage but not wafer thin!!!
    Jim

19. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post