Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1983p Clash with lots of reverse die cracks (w/Die gouges from dislodged crack?)

Additional Information
    Date: 1983p

Ed Speaking of clashes on 1983 LMC.....

I found this '83p with a severe die break on the reverse at SW building corner below FG that caught my eye. I decided to image it because of it being more severe than most.

That's when all sorts of stuff started appearing.
    1)Clash in bay's 2,3,4,9 (including the Y of LIBERTY)
    2)Raised areas above AM of AMERICA, along the rim east of the T of CENT, under the Right planter below the building

One place that isn't usually affected by clashes is the field east of the initials, south to the T and north including under and around RICA. This area has raised bumps (they don't appear to be plating blisters) as well as heavy abrading and polishing lines like the mint worker was trying to remove some deep damage.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell if there is enough evidence of die damage under and around RICA to tell if it could be from the interior die break falling out and damaging the die.

There is minor evidence of clashing on the Obv.

Thanks for looking and any comments to let me know what else you might see.

I hope my images are good enough to see the areas in question.
    Last edited by Petespockets55; 07-02-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling/Punctuation

2. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a pretty messed up coin Cliff!! Stuff going on everywhere! On the obverse it looks like clashing behind the head and above the date. On the reverse, I've seen that crack down the 12th column used as a marker on many varieties but that one comes out the top and through the bottom ending up eventually at the rim in both cases. It looks like there may be some feeder fingers mixed in there too but not sure, may just be heavy abrasions. I can see the clashing in bays 3 and 4 too. What's that going on with the "O" and "N" of ONE? something going from one to the other.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    ....... What's that going on with the "O" and "N" of ONE? something going from one to the other.
    Nice catch Jon. I haven't studied this one as well as I should.

It appears to be a deep Die gouge (but not as wide as it appears in the image) with abrupt square ends which makes me think possibly die damage from a piece of metal?
    There are lots of deep gouges on this reverse die that remind me of removing a clash, but in areas which aren't normally affected by the obv. die. That's why I'm wondering if some of the damage could be from the metal falling out of the die and damaging the rev. die. Without specific evidence of a letter or design element, it may not be possible to determine.
    (I have a feeling this will be on its way through the USPS for good images.)

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool find... Looks like the obv die is not the clash mate The rev is heavily abraded so what you see most likely are gouges... Better images would be a plus
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

8. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Cool find... Looks like the obv die is not the clash mate The rev is heavily abraded so what you see most likely are gouges... Better images would be a plus
    Thanks Jim. There is some minor evidence of a clash on the obv. but nothing like what's showing up on the rev. Wonder if the items on the reverse could have been clashes from more than one obv. die since they've probably been changed.

Any chance you'd like to see this one first hand?

10. Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks Jim. There is some minor evidence of a clash on the obv. but nothing like what's showing up on the rev. Wonder if the items on the reverse could have been clashes from more than one obv. die since they've probably been changed.

Any chance you'd like to see this one first hand?
    It depends on if I get it in the mail or not... Can't look at it in hand if it isn't here
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UUuuuu "Frank's trademark".... I love a good 83 Mystery! Good one Cliff!

14. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    It depends on if I get it in the mail or not... Can't look at it in hand if it isn't here
    Thanks Jim.
    Alright then. I'll try to get it in the mail today since "they" won't let me on the 4th.

16. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Thanks Jim.
    Alright then. I'll try to get it in the mail today since "they" won't let me on the 4th.
    You could always try on the 4th but they may not like it
    Jim