Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 P Die Crack

With the little experience acquired already, mostly through discussions in this forum, I will venture by myself (that's a huge leap for me) to consider this latest find as a Die Crack. It is not listed on cuds-on-coins (http://cuds-on-coins.com/udc-1c-2007/) and it looks big enough to be listed. I'll submit it to JC Stevens; but please, let me know if I'm wrong before I do that.

Thanks to all.

Fri Aug 10 15-20-43.jpgFri Aug 10 15-21-05.jpgFri Aug 10 15-13-51.jpgFri Aug 10 15-13-39.jpg

2. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Sir, you are correct it is a die crack! I don't think it's "unusual" enough though to be listed. Jon sent one in a few days ago that was kinda similar but on the right side of the Shield and JC said it was not quite unusual enough to list. One of the main die cracks that JC lists are spike head cents which is a die crack from the rim to any part of the busts head. Here is a link to spike head cents (SKH) is the abbreviation. http://cuds-on-coins.com/spike-head/

Others are RIDB's and IDB's which you are already familiar with.

4. Thanks Coin5, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Vivien for your excellent and encouraging answer. This is a special coin for me as it exhibits a couple of other interesting anomalies. There is another die crack from top to bottom on Lincoln's forehead which extends a bit into the field in front of the nose. It also appears to reach the rim as a very fine crack line; but this part is just speculation as I don't have enough magnification to determine. Maybe this one could be considered as a spike head also...
    Threre is also what looks like a tiny spike head which is probably to tiny to list (I knew about spike heads already). This one, does not reach all the way to the rim though.
    I will venture to try to list it anyway, the worst case scenario is he saying "No!!!

Here are the pics:
    Fri Aug 10 16-29-39.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-14.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-43.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-57.jpg
    Fri Aug 10 16-43-28.jpgFri Aug 10 16-46-47.jpgFri Aug 10 16-48-01.jpg

Thanks again

6. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post
    Thanks Vivien for your excellent and encouraging answer. This is a special coin for me as it exhibits a couple of other interesting anomalies. There is another die crack from top to bottom on Lincoln's forehead which extends a bit into the field in front of the nose. It also appears to reach the rim as a very fine crack line; but this part is just speculation as I don't have enough magnification to determine. Maybe this one could be considered as a spike head also...
    Threre is also what looks like a tiny spike head which is probably to tiny to list (I knew about spike heads already). This one, does not reach all the way to the rim though.
    I will venture to try to list it anyway, the worst case scenario is he saying "No!!!

Here are the pics:
    Fri Aug 10 16-29-39.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-14.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-43.jpgFri Aug 10 16-30-57.jpg

Thanks again
    That's a cool coin, lots happening on the obverse and reverse. With the spike head, the crack can come from any part of the head but has to reach the rim.

8. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin5 View Post

Here are the pics:

Thanks again
    You are welcome Adrian! I can definitely see the crack in Lincoln's forehead! From my experience, I have never seen a forehead crack extend to the rim or the field, but I guess there's always a chance for a first! Whenever I'm struggling to see something I always think about what Bob has said many times.... if something is that hard to see or if you have to use such high magnification, then it's probably too minor to list. Lots of great knowledge around here and Bob (mustbebob) is definitely an expert to pay attention to anytime he shows up on the forum!

10. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    You are welcome Adrian! I can definitely see the crack in Lincoln's forehead! From my experience, I have never seen a forehead crack extend to the rim or the field, but I guess there's always a chance for a first! Whenever I'm struggling to see something I always think about what Bob has said many times.... if something is that hard to see or if you have to use such high magnification, then it's probably too minor to list. Lots of great knowledge around here and Bob (mustbebob) is definitely an expert to pay attention to anytime he shows up on the forum!
    Great answer Viv!! The real cracks here are the one in the shield and the one in the forehead, the rest are just speculations, too tiny to be listed, so why bother... Interesting what Bob said. Sure, I've heard before he's a great expert and I will definitely will pay attention to his posts...
    Thanks again.

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sent this one also to JC and he will not list it.

I should have listened to Vivien one more time...

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Adrian! It's always best to ask if you're not sure and I certainly don't have the knowledge that JC and the guys around here have!

16. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the follow up... Vivien doesn't like to admit it but she is highly knowledgeable... It is always good to ask... That is one of the ways all of us learn!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

18. Thanks Coin5, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Thanks for the follow up... Vivien doesn't like to admit it but she is highly knowledgeable... It is always good to ask... That is one of the ways all of us learn!!!
    Thank you very much Jim! That means a lot to me coming from you since you have taught me so much! You and the rest of the pros around here are so awesome to share your knowledge and time with us!

20. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5, jfines69 liked this post