Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Coin Microscopes?

I've been thinking lately about getting a coin microscope and camera. This is because my present setup doesn't have the desired resolution to take clear images of tiny details (such as the nuances of the Lincoln statue on the Memorial reverse) I want to achieve good photos that don't pixelate when enlarged. (my current device with the best magnification is about 2MP. Not nearly good enough)
    Micro-lens devices don't fit my new phone camera. (drat!) I do understand the various aspects of lighting and filters.
    I see that Ken Potter pictures an Amscope microscope in his book.

I do not want to sell coins. (I don't). But I want to combine my old passion for photography, (that was with film cameras... I was out of it by the time digital cameras took over), with coin collecting interesting errors.

What scope magnification and camera resolution is needed to achieve photographs at the level?

2. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Maineman750, jfines69, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would check in this sub forum...it has a lot of good info https://www.lincolncentforum.com/for...in-Photography

4. Thanks jfines69, RTopal thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, RTopal, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll say, your current images are already better than anything you can take with your typical USB scope. So, you may want to go in a different direction. Just my 2 cents. I recommend talking to Ray about what your photography goals are.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

6. Thanks RTopal, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes RTopal, Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Paid Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willbrooks View Post
    I'll say, your current images are already better than anything you can take with your typical USB scope. So, you may want to go in a different direction. Just my 2 cents. I recommend talking to Ray about what your photography goals are.
    I was just looking at his web site and reading some of the coin photography threads. You're right, I need to change direction. To do what I want, I need a camera with a low vibration shutter, (probably mirrorless), and a macro bellows imaging system. I wanted a new camera anyway!

8. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, jfines69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need anything special to take good close-up or even normal images. I use an ancient Canon SD700IS which has a 4X optical zoom. As long as you're steady with your hand and have good light, close-up images are easy as pie! You can find these cameras on ebay for $50!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VERDI-CARE™ ALL METAL CONSERVATION FLUID

10. Thanks Maineman750, jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post