Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

1857 FE DDO FS-101, Snow-4

Additional Information
    Date: 1857
    Variety: DDO
    Mint: Philadelphia
    FS#: FS 101

1857 FE DDO FS-101, Snow-4
    https://www.indianvarieties.com/cent.../1857-ddo-006/

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/...ng-eagle/37378

I have only dabbled in things other than Lincoln's but love a nice FS variety in any series.

I sent a submission to ANACS back in early Jan and it's back already. (It was a mostly good submission.)

Most were Lincolns but I came across this one which I think came from a lot I won of mixed Lincoln's, IHC, and a few FE cents in 2022 or 2023. Nothing was attributed in the lot I won.

I was pleased to see the doubling appear under my loupe and was able to determine the attribution before sending it off.

For those not familiar with this one, there is nice doubling on the eagles eye & the right side of the obv. @ ICA, top side of the tail feathers, the eagles claw.
    The Eagles wing tip is "broken" and is used as a nice marker to differentiate this one from the Snow 3 variety.

As always, thanks for checking it out and hope you enjoy this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, rlmillerjr, joel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, Cliff! Nice doubling but am not at all familiar with these coins, the doubling is very apparent though. It looks decent, considering its age, what did it grade?

4. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have picked a few EF DDOs over the years. I really like them too. Good find and thanks for sharing!

David Miller - CONECA member

6. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just happened to have an 1857 cent laying on my desk when I opened this thread......made me look.....no luck

8. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Die & Design Expert, LCF Glossary Author willbrooks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat find. I've been aggressively trying to compete my Indian set recently. My FEs could probably use a couple of upgrades.
    All opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by willbrooks or his affiliates. Taking them may result in serious side effects. Results may vary. Offer not valid in New Jersey.

10. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.
    It's nice to have an eclectic collection and a poor memory because I'm never sure when a surprise will show up.

Jon, it graded F15.

Sorry about the luck Roger.

Upgrades are nice. I picked up an 1857 FE last year at a pawn shop last year that will go low AU. He had two and each were marked $35.00. I calmly asked to see the AU one while trying not to sound too excited. Probably a $150.00 coin!!

I wish I had remembered you were looking for IHC. I won a full set in a mixed lot of wheats that had some IHC thrown in to appeal to more bidders. The set had been in a Mehrig album from the mid 60's. Most were details coins but yep, 1877, 1864 "L", 1909 S. The only one missing was the 1886 Type 2. The set had been put together before collectors differentiated between the two types.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes makecents, Maineman750 liked this post