Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Thanks for the follow up pics Jon... That's cool... I think you are correct on the V nickel culprit... The nickel that caused the impressions looks to have been in fairly good shape... The denticles are sharp looking as are the stars!!!
    You are very welcome and thanks for checking it out!

2. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petespockets55 View Post
    Interesting one and nice "sleuthing" Jon. It makes sense it was a V nickel since they were both produced and in circulation around the same time.

How's this scenario- They fell out the hole of some hard pressed factory worker's pocket in St. Louis. Mo., slid down their pants leg and were deposited together on top of each other in a cobblestone street in 1912, where they were hammered by a rearing Clydesdale!
    Thanks!! That's a good story there Cliff!! We'll go with that.

4. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    Back then it probably was a bummer to drop 6 cents.
    I noticed you have 11 cents earlier. That may have been right because I couldn't identify what was mashed into the reverse!

6. Likes Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed you have 11 cents earlier. That may have been right because I couldn't identify what was mashed into the reverse!
    LOL, I read what I said and was like 5 + 1... why did I write 11

8. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    LOL, I read what I said and was like 5 + 1... why did I write 11
    Inflation
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks Petespockets55 thanked for this post
    Likes Petespockets55, GrumpyEd, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks!! She may not be the culprit. I looked through several different coins and denominations and that was as close as I could find. Keep in mind there was more than one time these two collided. The stars seem to match the size and distance. If you look at the lowest star and then the one in the "RT" of LIBERTY that is pretty close to the V nickel stars. As for the denticles the lower ones are smeared across the Lincoln, not a direct downward shot and the denticles above those actually look pretty close in spacing and your not going to get all of the denticle because the rim of the nickel I'm sure held it back. The distance from the stars to the outer part of the rim looks right too. I could be wrong though. I think the reason Jim wanted the side by side pic I uploaded is so he can do an overlay. They may help decide how far off I am.
    so I was originally thinking the coins were static , like pressed in a vice. But later today I got to thinking that one of the coins may have slid or twisted or both to distort the details. Any way it was made it is a super cool coin.

12. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jon sent me these coins to look at... Pretty cool... Thanks Jon I appreciate it... I found out something interesting about the V nickels - The 2 stars I was able to line up with the rim on the 1911 are the only 2 that would fit... It seems that those 2 stars are farther apart than all of the others... There is a 3rd star (blue arrow) that I am unable to align... The stretched denticles look to be from the same squeeze as the 2 aligned stars and rim... The yellow arrows look to be part of the hair design at the top of the head??? On the rev rev I can clearly see the ICA of AMERICA from the rev of another wheatie... The white arrows point to all of the designs squeezed into the 1911 at the same time... There are more design elements squeezed into the rev but doing overlays of all those would have taken a lot of pics... This was a fun coin to arrange the puzzle pieces on!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

14. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet some kid put them ont the tracks of a trolley car.

16. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Jon sent me these coins to look at... Pretty cool... Thanks Jon I appreciate it... I found out something interesting about the V nickels - The 2 stars I was able to line up with the rim on the 1911 are the only 2 that would fit... It seems that those 2 stars are farther apart than all of the others... There is a 3rd star (blue arrow) that I am unable to align... The stretched denticles look to be from the same squeeze as the 2 aligned stars and rim... The yellow arrows look to be part of the hair design at the top of the head??? On the rev rev I can clearly see the ICA of AMERICA from the rev of another wheatie... The white arrows point to all of the designs squeezed into the 1911 at the same time... There are more design elements squeezed into the rev but doing overlays of all those would have taken a lot of pics... This was a fun coin to arrange the puzzle pieces on!!!
    Fantastic job Jim!! You did a lot of work on this and the overlays look great! Everything lines up great. So it looks like there was at least 6 cents involve in this little mystery! Thanks Jim!

18. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emodx View Post
    I bet some kid put them ont the tracks of a trolley car.
    The voice of experience
    Jim

20. Likes makecents liked this post