Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if the hammer die rotated slightly in one direction and the anvil slightly in the opposite direction. Then how would you describe it ? Nice rotation.
    Last edited by 11997755; 07-13-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 11997755 View Post
    What if the hammer die rotated slightly in one direction and the anvil slightly in the opposite direction. Then how would you describe it ? Nice rotation.
    That is not how rotation happens. The rotation occurs when one or the other die is installed in a rotated position in respect to the other. In other words, it does not rotate with time or use.

3. Thanks makecents, 11997755 thanked for this post
    Likes 11997755 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Roller! Very nice rotated die find and a very informative thread! Thanks for posting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... Look at the rotation this way - From the west to the east (left to right) draw a horizontal line using the base of the letters in LIBERTY... When you flip the coin to the rev draw a horizontal line across the memorials base from west to east... If the west tip of the base is up from the obv horizontal it is a CW rotation from 0 to 90 degrees and if the east tip of the base is up then it is a CCW rotation... If it is a 180 degree rotation the point is moot... In the case of this coin it is a little difficult to tell... In the pics of the coin in a 2x2 with staples the obv pic has a staple, on the east side, that runs SSW - NNE... On the rev pic the staple in view on the east side appears to be N - S which throws off the measurement for me any way... The best I can tell is CCW about 65 - 70 degrees???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Nice find... Look at the rotation this way - From the west to the east (left to right) draw a horizontal line using the base of the letters in LIBERTY... When you flip the coin to the rev draw a horizontal line across the memorials base from west to east... If the west tip of the base is up from the obv horizontal it is a CW rotation from 0 to 90 degrees and if the east tip of the base is up then it is a CCW rotation... If it is a 180 degree rotation the point is moot... In the case of this coin it is a little difficult to tell... In the pics of the coin in a 2x2 with staples the obv pic has a staple, on the east side, that runs SSW - NNE... On the rev pic the staple in view on the east side appears to be N - S which throws off the measurement for me any way... The best I can tell is CCW about 65 - 70 degrees???
    I thought that sooner or later the staples position would be addressed. LOL. The staples were not applied in strict vertical and horizontal order. So, for clarification here are some shots from an evolving methodology for photographing the anomaly. I don't see a 65-70 degree rotation.
    Referring back to Ed's and mine agreement that all rotation is either 90 degrees or less or 180 degrees, how do we get to all the rotations reported on the Lincoln Cent Resource, for instance, in the many 160, 120 etc. rotations. The only way is that they measure rotation in the clock wise direction from the obverse die. In that case, this is a rotation in excess of 90 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Thanks makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And then some!

Post Thanks / Like
    all rotation is either 90 degrees or less or 180 degrees,
    It's less than 180 or medalic orientation if 180.

Just take the degree number that's less than 180.
    Think this way.... so your coin is 70 out one way and it's 290 the other way so you call it 70.
    If it was 160 out, it would be 200 the other way so you call it 160.

Isn't that right?

10. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyEd View Post
    It's less than 180 or medalic orientation if 180.

Just take the degree number that's less than 180.
    Think this way.... so your coin is 70 out one way and it's 290 the other way so you call it 70.
    If it was 160 out, it would be 200 the other way so you call it 160.

Isn't that right?
    The only problem I see with your numbers is the assumption of having 360 degrees of rotation available... There is only 180 degrees possible... If you rotate the die 360 degrees you are back to where you started... I hope that makes sense???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea those staples got me I guess the angle of rotation depends on where you begin... To me it looks like an 80 degree CW rotation... The west corner on the base is up correct???
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    The only problem I see with your numbers is the assumption of having 360 degrees of rotation available... There is only 180 degrees possible... If you rotate the die 360 degrees you are back to where you started... I hope that makes sense???
    That is true but since nobody can tell which way it rotated, it can only be assumed to be the number of 180 or below. If that wasn't true then every 10 degree rotated coin would be considered 350 degrees out.

14. Thanks jfines69 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69 liked this post