Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Post Thanks / Like

Answered: 1979 with 4 on the obverse

Hi All,

My wife decided all of sudden to join in on my search today. I guess that the information from upcoming Heritage auction was somewhat inspiring She really wanted to find a wheat, but this is what she found instead. I tried to comfort her that this coin was definitively more scarce than a wheat but it didn't help much. However she, asked me if I could get any more information on this coin so here I am to see if any of you saw this before and possibly know where it originates from?

I know of cents with different states on them but never saw any numbers on them before.

Mici
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. "The simple answer is there's no added value. After it left the mint someone stamped a 4 into it. No rare factor involved, it's just damage. The state stamped coins you can trace back to a company doing it, but this could have been done by anyone."

3. Thanks VAB2013, enamel7 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 67
    The simple answer is there's no added value. After it left the mint someone stamped a 4 into it. No rare factor involved, it's just damage. The state stamped coins you can trace back to a company doing it, but this could have been done by anyone.

5. Thanks MiciDragan thanked for this post
    Likes MiciDragan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 94
    It's very cool looking though Mici!

7. Likes MiciDragan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 61
    That's great Mici, you have a helper! Your wife found a really cool and different looking counter stamp. Here is the definition from the glossary, there are some photos at the glossary too!

Counter-stamp: A coin that had a additional design intentionally punched into its surface after it was struck. There are many different examples of this found on Lincoln cents, including masonic symbols, cigars, the outline of U.S states, and many others. This is considered a form of post-strike damage, but many find these collectible.

9. Thanks mustbebob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided Answers: 104
    That is cool looking... Here is a link that may help http://www.exonumia.com/art/cma.htm Enjoy!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!