Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at MMs

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at MMs

Having recently started going through some 59s, 60s & 70s for MM discrepancies -- It is not going as well as I had hoped* [so far].

Any suggestions from personal experience [from a beginner's perspective]? I know to look on VV, CC, etc. but, they seem to use mostly coins that are very clean [uncirculated?] and mine are not.

Is a 10X loupe generally strong enough? When I started, I figured if I couldn't see it with 5X magnification I wasn't concerned. A few months later, after getting a 10X loupe [and figuring that is more than enough] I am questioning yet again. LOL -- Scope creep!

I have some S MMs that seem to be rotated but, very difficult to verify.

* I thought MM issues might be more plentiful than DD.

Re Pic: I am guessing MD extends to MMs as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say you have MD.....especially when it appears on both the date and MM

4. Thanks TPring, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mint marks were "punched" (added) by hand to the completely hubbed working die until 1989. Being added after the hubbing, there cannot be hub doubled MMs on coins minted with these dies. Therefore, any apparent doubling on these MMs is always MD like Roger says.

6. Thanks TPring, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Mint marks were "punched" (added) by hand to the completely hubbed working die until 1989. Being added after the hubbing, there cannot be hub doubled MMs on coins minted with these dies. Therefore, any apparent doubling on these MMs is always MD like Roger says.
    Actually, MD, deterioration doubled or other such post hubbing doubling, to be more precise.

8. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have some S MMs that seem to be rotated but, very difficult to verify.
    Being only rotated doesn't add much, since they're punched by hand they're often rotated a little bit.

10. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are times I wish I had an electron microscope for looking at coins I use a 30x loupe... I tried the lower power loupes but couldn't see much of anything... I think most folks consider a 10x more than suitable... I'm with the others on the MD so you were correct on the MD call... See you are learning
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

12. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a B&L 14x Hastings Triplet for years until I picked up a B&L Stereo Microscope. Now I rarely use a loupe. Later I took up photography and now I take pics of any interesting Mintmarks I find. It's nice to have them available for easy viewing and sharing.

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. PM me with your needs or visit http://macrocoins.com

14. Thanks jfines69, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes jfines69, TPring, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    Therefore, any apparent doubling on these MMs is always MD like Roger says.

What about RPMs?

Trying to find MM variations since DD coins seem harder to find (and there are many MM variations). MMs are much smaller and require more magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_parkhurst View Post
    ... I picked up a B&L Stereo Microscope.
    That looks like a nice tool to have.

I threw in the pic [of the 69s] at the last minute as an example of (what I thought was) MD -- Just hadn't heard anyone previously mention MD on the MM so just wanted to get clarification.

Thanks
    Last edited by TPring; 12-16-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPring View Post
    What about RPMs?

Trying to find MM variations since DD coins seem harder to find (and there are many MM variations). MMs are much smaller and require more magnification.

That looks like a nice tool to have.

I threw in the pic [of the 69s] at the last minute as an example of (what I thought was) MD -- Just hadn't heard anyone previously mention MD on the MM so just wanted to get clarification.

Thanks
    Lots of RPMs... Also in some years there were several different MM styles for the same mint so that makes it even better... Take a look at the RPMs listed on CC just for the 1960D... Over 170 different RPMs http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php and when Wexler gets his listings updated I believe he has over 200??? Some of the RPMs cross over between all 3 sites CC, Wexler and VV but not all of them which increases the numbers even more... Then we have all the other years with RPMs... Don't forget to check out the known MM styles listed on VV http://varietyvista.com/01b%20LC%20D...k%20Styles.htm that will help you out also!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Thanks TPring thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfines69 View Post
    Lots of RPMs... Also in some years there were several different MM styles for the same mint so that makes it even better... Take a look at the RPMs listed on CC just for the 1960D... Over 170 different RPMs ...

I think you have opened up a can of worms -- Just finished up round 1 of my 1960d bowl of LCs. These RPMs were very time intensive.