Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: 2017D Thick LI

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the larger looking LI is due to deterioration and circulation like Cliff said but I could be wrong. I know we've talked about these lines you're referring to Viv but have never heard anyone say what they were.

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    I think the larger looking LI is due to deterioration and circulation like Cliff said but I could be wrong. I know we've talked about these lines you're referring to Viv but have never heard anyone say what they were.
    Jon, they look more like polishing lines to me but different. I'm wondering if the mint is using some other kind of polishing device or technique that's making these lines. These lines are thinner looking, there's more of them and they are all going in the same direction.

The LI probably is die deterioration and circulation wear and more than likely it's just a coincidence that where we see the lines, the devices are smashed but not related to each other.

I have some Shields set aside to send to Will... they are all from the same die and what was puzzling to me is the lines are not in the same place. Will said to send them on but then he got busy writing Coin World articles and I got busy with work so I haven't sent them yet.
    Last edited by VAB2013; 12-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post