Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1992 D spider web a day late

Additional Information
    Date: 1992

Just wanted to see if anyone had seen this before. I checked all types of cracks on Cuds On Coins and came up empty. I used a toothpick and they are solid copper underneath. Thanks for looking, Jon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, Petespockets55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen anything like that Jon. It really does look like a spider web! How bizarre! If the anomaly is cut into the coin, I would think PSD but what could make such a pattern? If it's raised... then I would think die cracks, but still what a weird pattern!
    Last edited by VAB2013; 11-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.

4. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It cannot be psd in that it only affects the incuse devices which would be the raised devices on the die. It is some kid of die damage, possibly abrasion marks, me thinks.

6. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Never seen anything like that Jon. It really does look like a spider web! How bizarre! If the anomaly is cut into the coin, I would think PSD but what could make such a pattern? If it's raised... then I would think die cracks, but still what a weird pattern!
    Thanks Viv!! Hope to get some feedback on this. It's really odd looking and figured there was something that JC had but no luck. I had never looked at shattered dies until this evening on his site and thought that may be what it was but not... I might send to him and see what he thinks.

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roller View Post
    It cannot be psd in that it only affects the incuse devices which would be the raised devices on the die. It is some kid of die damage, possibly abrasion marks, me thinks.
    I might agree with that but there is no direction or consistency to it Roller. Usually when there are polishing lines they line up somewhat. It is only in the fields too not on the devices. I'm a little perplexed by this one with nothing to compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really neat looking Jon.
    Wonder if the rollers could do this as they roll the planchet stock to the correct thickness if the plating didn't adhere to the zinc core properly. (Or are the planchets rolled and cut out before the plating process?)

It reminds me of paint on a wall that has gotten water behind it and looks like it is melting down the wall.

11. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    Thanks Viv!! Hope to get some feedback on this. It's really odd looking and figured there was something that JC had but no luck. I had never looked at shattered dies until this evening on his site and thought that may be what it was but not... I might send to him and see what he thinks.
    You're welcome Jon! I think sending it to JC is a great idea! This is a tough one!

13. Thanks makecents thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could easily be PSD....something as simple as a person with a scribe tool trying to be artistic

15. Thanks VAB2013, makecents thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013, makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineman750 View Post
    It could easily be PSD....something as simple as a person with a scribe tool trying to be artistic
    I thought about that Roger but as Roller said it is not on the devises. Do you think JC would be able to tell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by makecents View Post
    I thought about that Roger but as Roller said it is not on the devises. Do you think JC would be able to tell?
    I was puzzled by Roller's remark....if a person was doing this purposely.....why couldn't they just scribe between the devices ? Just like a coloring book....stay between the lines...pretty easy when they're raised. As for JC....it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

18. Thanks makecents thanked for this post