Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huh! That's the government wasting their time on something with no purpose. It worked for over 100 years without it so why add it now. It seems silly to me.

2. Likes jallengomez, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish they would put a big, fat *** "P" right across the shield.
    They can use the dies from the mint set tokens instead of the shield, it's the right size and everything.

4. Likes Frank, jallengomez, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just something more to be doubled So if some one finds a no P 2017 it is worth a bit What I find funny is that the guy stated they did not release the info just to see how long it would take for some one to report it... I thought mint employees had no sense of humor
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

6. Likes VAB2013, Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious, could they legally discontinue the cent without telling the public?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. The merchants would have to know to make adjustments to their pricing and SKU's to adjust for nickel change. Not sure how Canada just did it, but I bet it was a nightmare.

9. Thanks willy13 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention the bazillions of vending machines!
    "And he will tell you, skill is late — A Mightier than He —
    Has ministered before Him — There's no Vitality."

11. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    I am curious, could they legally discontinue the cent without telling the public?
    No. It takes an act of Congress to change anything money wise. That includes design changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure they would tell the public but the public doesn't need to agree if congress does it.

As much as I like cents, they're sort of irrelevant. Younger people don't pick them up, I find them almost every time I walk.
    In perspective, in the 1790s when the US first made coins they went down to half cents. With inflation that's probably like a half dollar or more. They didn't ever use millicents (other than tax tokens). Back then a handful of cents could buy something but today it won't do much.

Imagine if for one week you had to shop using only cents. It would take a few bricks to buy groceries, an appliance would take a trunk full. Imagine paying for even a grocery trip, handing the clerk $65.37 in cents, they'd be counting them for an hour. Just imagine going through the drive thru and buying a couple burgers and handing them 1259 cents for $12.59, they'd probably call the cops.

They cost much more than a cent to make, their accounting of just over a cent isn't realistic. There is no way they really can make them for less than a few cents or more if they include the mint buildings, employee healthcare and retirement and pay or the congress time spent deciding if it needs a P or not. They justify stuff with accounting that would never work for a non government outfit, if they had cents made by a normal company with real accounting I bet they cost more.
    Last edited by GrumpyEd; 01-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.

14. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is true GrumpyEd, but thinking about abolishing the Lincoln cent is sad I don't even care if it raises the value of our finds, what would we do for fun??

Wrong Design Die Expert onecent1909's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enamel7 View Post
    No. It takes an act of Congress to change anything money wise. That includes design changes.
    I think the question is Can they discontinue the cent.
    answer is .... Yes they could stop making the cent because they have enough in circulation at this time.
    1815 cent: no copper planchettes
    1933 quarters
    1922,1932,1933 dimes
    ETC
    every denomination has had a stoppage at some time
    The mint can stop production if they do not need the coin.
    Discontinuing it forever?
    I would think they would let people know.
    stopping for years (SBA 1981 to 1999)
    Yea it could happen
    Member: Florida State representative for the ANA, Florida state representative for CONECA, F.U.N. and the Ocala Coin Club

17. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post