Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1983 p clashed, very colorfully toned

Additional Information
    Date: 1983

I found this one very interesting, there's a lot going on with it. Looks like the rim has some damage from the mint, left obverse side next to LIBERTY, and above IN GOD WE, on the rim. Also, clash marks from Lincolns head on the reverse and a Y letter clash reverse. The color is vivid. Please have a look.............dinkyblue
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks makecents, VAB2013, Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, Coin5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Dan!! The 83P's are probably one of the most troublesom and messed up years there are. I think this is an off center strike like Will helped me with the other day. I don't think it's a MAD die, because the opposing rim looks normal.We'll see what others say. The "Y" letter transfer is neat!! I think on the west side of the reverse is the head but the east side is just PSD. Very cool toning!

Here's a link to the coin I posted the other day. (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/foru...d-metal-or-CUD)
    Last edited by makecents; 08-09-2018 at 05:22 PM.

4. Thanks VAB2013, dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Dan the color of that Lincoln is really pretty! Sure would have been nice to see that die clash before the Mint worker got a hold of it! Really nice reverse die clash and the Y in the second bay is really strong!

6. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Likes makecents liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see any metal or cud on the rim, still it could be an off center strike, but it looks like strike damage to me and the overlay's match up with both marks as far as LINCOLNS head is concerned, you can also just barley make out the top of LINCOLNS head all the way around. It would be good if the clashed die expert guru chimed in as I'm not real knowledgeable on clashed die's. Thank you Jon, and Viv for looking and your thoughts.........................Dan

8. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find... The mint tried their hardest to get rid of that clash... Bet that was awesome looking before abrasion... The Y looks funny... Almost like a rocket with the capsule missing I also see the back of Abes jacket in B3... The west side of Abes head clash looks funny like the Y... Wonder if the dies were loose??? That could explain the obv rims, thick Y and back of Abes head clash also??? Looks like the area near the rim SW of the L was over worked by the mint making it ramp up from the field to the rim... May have been damaged from the clash???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

10. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would stand to reason that the dies were loose, causing as you said the Y and the back of Lincolns head to appear strange looking. I like the vivid color, Thanks for looking Jim, ....................Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkyblue View Post
    It would stand to reason that the dies were loose, causing as you said the Y and the back of Lincolns head to appear strange looking. I like the vivid color, Thanks for looking Jim, ....................Dan
    You're welcome... I like the color also... You got some really good pics of this coin... Really clear... I took another look at the bay pic and noticed the clash remnants in B7 thru B9... Bottom of Abes chin!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

13. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thought was there is a lot going on with this clashed 1983p and the color is amazing looking. Was wondering what to do with all of the these 1961d BU RPM's that are just sitting here. If they are new one's perhaps I should send one in to Wexler or coppercoins to be listed, what do you think.......................Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find. Looks there are also Die Cracks on both top corners of the memorial to the rim.

16. Thanks dinkyblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there are some die cracks on the reverse, makes it even more interesting don't you think? Thank you for looking and your thoughts................Dan

18. Thanks Coin5 thanked for this post
    Likes Coin5 liked this post