Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Overall collection completeness and goals

Recently I decided to start tracking the completedness of my Lincoln cent collection and as such, my master lists have had a new feature added to them. Now I track my collection completeness in addition to logging all my individual coins. Overall I collect coins from 1909 to date and collect RPMs, doubled dies and transitional listings. Currently on 1909-1958 I am at 2103 unique coins out of 4336 listed varieties and normal slots (i.e. each variety has one line, each normal date and mint mark has one line, and lines are added as varieties are listed online, and deleted when cross-references are made. CONECA, Wexler, and coppercoins complete listings are included in the worklist. Unlisted varieties get a single line per year, so even though I have 3 dozen unlisted 1943 DDOs, they only add one filled line until they ended up officially individually listed by an attributor). This puts me at 48.50% completion for my wheat cent variety set. Not too shabby for only a 29 year old collector in my opinion. Generally I fill a new hole every 2 days or so, though occasionally I fill in large gaps in bursts with trades and whatnot. I'm hoping to hit 50% by the years end!

For 1959-date, I am at 42.39% completion with 2085 out of 4919 possible coins. Hopefully with trades I can improve this one to 45% by the end of the year. This one I'm much lower overall as well as more spotty, with large gaps in the 70s and 80s RPMs, while having nearly complete 1959-1969 RPM sets, and having most of the 2009 to date doubled dies with spotty years from 1990-2008. Additional issues with this set includeds the fact that the cross-references are less complete. As such, I do not have Wexler's RPM listings on the list from 1970 on unless the photos are online, or I obtained copies of the dies from Brian Ribar, or they are cross-referenced elsewhere. CONECA DDRs from 1997 to 2009 are also generally not listed unless crossed to another attribution service, or unless I have that specific die. This is due to CONECA's lack of attributable markers, making it near impossible to verify many of these dies.

Crawford unique listings get added to my worksheet if they are an impressive die, or if I find that coin and no other attribution system contains that variety. It doesn't happen that often but 1969-P for example has a beautiful coin listed as CDDO-004 that no one else lists, and I ended up with 3 copies of.

I'd love to hear how everyone else's collections are going. Do you keep track of individual dies you have? Does anyone else try to track how complete their set is?

Share below if you can.

Dan

2. Thanks JC Stevens, makecents, VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013, jay4202472000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool fer a young whipper snapper collecter I don't have a collection so my comments are limited to my being a smart a#$ However I will say I am impressed by how you track your collection... Are you concerned with collecting the individual die stages or just the DDs, RPMS and transitionals???
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

4. Thanks centMD thanked for this post
    Likes makecents, VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

I do track individual die stages for my collection. However, I am not trying to get each die stage, or specific stages when I acquire coins. While it would be cool for some of the varieties, such as RPM-4 for 1955-s, with multiple reverse dies used and 11 unique stages, for the most part it is just not that practical. http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...955SRPM004.htm

Dan

6. Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I am really impressed with the strides you are making towards your collection goals! Way to go!

I fall in the category with Jim as far as my collection goes, but I have plans to do some cherry picking and adding some nice Lincoln's in the near future when time permits! Most of the time my desk looks like I'm trying to cover it with Lincoln's, still working on that part

8. Thanks centMD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive Dan! I keep a spreadsheet with all my varieties, the cross-refs, how I obtained them, if I bought or picked them and how much I paid, ect. I would love to have a master list to mark off as I go, but it would be too much work for me considering I know I could never complete it...unless I started playing powerball!

Are you missing a 1985D-RPM-001? I picked up 3 recently for $2 apiece. I've been meaning to post one just haven't had time. I'd be glad to send you one to contribute to the goal if you need one.

10. Thanks centMD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Dan, I am really impressed with the strides you are making towards your collection goals! Way to go!

I fall in the category with Jim as far as my collection goes, but I have plans to do some cherry picking and adding some nice Lincoln's in the near future when time permits! Most of the time my desk looks like I'm trying to cover it with Lincoln's, still working on that part
    Thanks Viv! I've certainly seen you post some very nice coins on here like your 1969-D 1DO-001 which is one of many holes I have, and of course your famous 92!

12. Thanks VAB2013 thanked for this post
    Likes VAB2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jay4202472000 View Post
    Very impressive Dan! I keep a spreadsheet with all my varieties, the cross-refs, how I obtained them, if I bought or picked them and how much I paid, ect. I would love to have a master list to mark off as I go, but it would be too much work for me considering I know I could never complete it...unless I started playing powerball!

Are you missing a 1985D-RPM-001? I picked up 3 recently for $2 apiece. I've been meaning to post one just haven't had time. I'd be glad to send you one to contribute to the goal if you need one.
    Always good to have a system if possible, and it sounds like your's works well for your collection. My list is always a work in progress but it gives me satisfaction to fill in the empty slots, in spite of seeing how many holes still exist!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centMD View Post
    Thanks Viv! I've certainly seen you post some very nice coins on here like your 1969-D 1DO-001 which is one of many holes I have, and of course your famous 92!
    Thank you very much Dan! You and I discussed the 69D on the forum and we think it could be it, but I am going to ask Bob if he will look at it. That's a minor one so it would be nice to know for sure. Will let you guys know.

15. Thanks centMD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centMD View Post
    Jim,

I do track individual die stages for my collection. However, I am not trying to get each die stage, or specific stages when I acquire coins. While it would be cool for some of the varieties, such as RPM-4 for 1955-s, with multiple reverse dies used and 11 unique stages, for the most part it is just not that practical. http://varietyvista.com/02a%20LC%20R...955SRPM004.htm

Dan
    I see your point on that... Out of 11 stages and the RPM is easily visible thru the first 4 stages... After that with any circ wear and it would get missed... Thanks for the follow up!!!
    Jim
    (A.K.A. Elmer Fudd) Be verwy verwy quiet... I'm hunting coins!!! Good Hunting!!!

17. Thanks centMD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
    Thank you very much Dan! You and I discussed the 69D on the forum and we think it could be it, but I am going to ask Bob if he will look at it. That's a minor one so it would be nice to know for sure. Will let you guys know.
    I would still love a chance to look at it myself if you don't mind. I think I could provide you with a satisfactory and definitive answer. Somewhat interestingly, I have a 1969P DDO that is very similar. That coin is listed by Billy Crawford as CDDO-004, but is not listed by Wexler, coppercoins, or CONECA.

Dan