PDA

View Full Version : Estimate for Double Die...

periklis
10-28-2010, 04:16 AM
Could you say to me a realistic value for this sovereign?
How much you believe that it can be sold in ebay?

mustbebob
10-28-2010, 04:31 AM
It is real difficult to put a value on this coin. I don't know how many people collect them, or what current supply and demand would be for it. We deal primarily with Lincoln cents here.

trails
10-28-2010, 05:53 AM
If we were to match this coin to one of U.S. origin, the premium for it would be minimal. Here is the reasoning behind such; In the making of gold sovereigns, not many working dies were used ( I imagine two, possibly three). So, that means that every other or one in three coins encountered would have the same doubling. If it is a fifty - fifty split, no premium would be put on the coin. If it is a one in three, then minimal premium (less than 10% of the collectible or gold value, with concerns to its rarity).

Since you did not put what date it was (from the looks it could be 1853 with a production of over 10,000,000, or a 1858 with a production of 800,00) that does make a difference. The working die numbers for the 1853 would be about 20, while the 1858 would be two working dies.

Looking at current prices for both dates, they are about equal. So, it seems that rarity does not play a part in the pricing of this coin, just the gold weight.

BJ Neff

jfines69
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Good lesson BJ... Thank you!!!

kloccwork419
10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Its some wierd doubling thats for sure. how does each letter get a different degree of doubling. Was each letter stamped in this coin? Remind me of Longacre doubling a little bit. Is it Tripled? In the picture with BRIT, the doubling is in many directions

trails
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I do believe that there is also a degree of machine doubling involved with this coin. However, I also see indications of hub doubling as well.

BJ Neff

periklis
10-29-2010, 03:47 AM
..Since you did not put what date it was..

It is 1853.
And i have another one similar, but 1862.

( about prices, look the last picture from the book "COINS OF ENGLAND - 2010" )

In any case, my opinion is that a coin as this it cannot have only 10%premium... (?)

mustbebob
10-29-2010, 04:13 AM
You asked for some opinions, and they were provided. We can only guess what your coin will sell for, but that's it. Trails gave you some scenarios, and approximate premiums on this coin and the reason for his analysis. If your opinion is that the coin can not have only a 10% premium, tell us what you think it should be and why. I am sure you realize that you can not rely on anyone's 'guess' as a buy or sell price. They are all just opinions, and as I stated before, supply and demand should dictate the price you will get.

periklis
10-29-2010, 04:38 AM
You asked for some opinions, and they were provided..
Thank you very much for this! http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx112/pinmark26/china.gif

..I am sure you realize that you can not rely on anyone's 'guess' as a buy or sell price. They are all just opinions, and as I stated before, supply and demand should dictate the price you will get.
This is correct.