PDA

View Full Version : New CONECA Lisitng DDR-001

car10
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I just received a package in the mail this morning from James Wiles.
I've had my fingers crossed for a month now. Finally the circulation can return and I can use all my fingers again.
I'm on cloud nine.
I'm confident this discovery isn't going to be de-listed like my last "discovery" was. (http://www.varietyvista.com/1989PRDV005%20cent.htm) Dr. Wiles even expressed an interest in purchasing one of the coins from me for his reference collection. That is very flattering. I have no idea what price to ask though. I would appreciate any input from LCR forum members on what a reasonable asking price would be for this coin.
I submitted two coins I found while searching a solid BU 2005 N.F String & Son sealed box of cents last month. I found both coins in the same roll. As soon as I found the coins I put the rest of the box aside without searching any more of the rolls. I have had these rolls since 2005 when I bought all four solid BU boxes that the bank had. I decided to search one of the boxes for errors/varieties one weekend when my supply of circulated rolls ran out.
The variety, listed as CONECA DDR-001, 1-R-VIII, exhibits an extremely strong spread in a southerly direction with doubling of Lincoln's knees visible on the statue's platform. It is a minor variety and will never rival the popularity of 1984 doubled ear or other major varieties but Dr. Wiles considered it significant enough to assign it a listing number.
As usual my photographic skills are sub-par making it difficult to see the doubling. Hopefully soon the listing will appear on Dr. Wiles' varietyvista website (http://www.varietyvista.com/split_image.htm)with professional photographs.

Again, I'm looking for feedback on what the LCR members feel would be a reasonable asking price for the second specimen. I want to be fair. :angel: I'm keeping the discovery coin and have framed it.
As for the remaining rolls from the batch, I'm considering listing them on eBay. I'm not sure what a reasonable asking price would be for those either considering it is not guaranteed that anything of interest will even be found in them with the exception of 50 strictly gem BU cents from 2005. Whaddaya think?

Steven
05-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice finds David. You may want to reference similar DDRs in coppercoins listings for an approximate price range.
Roll prices ????? would probably depend on the interest in the variety.

Again nice find. Feels good to be the first to discover a particular variety.

car10
05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Steven. I checked coppercoins before I had sent them to Dr. Wiles. There was nothing that resembled this one.

dvn
05-03-2008, 11:10 AM
That one is in already assigned in my files as 2005 1c CDDR-008 and on my file card I came across it out of BofA rolls back on 3/15/05 and was also published in Numismatic News.

car10
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Sorry, I must have missed that one.:O Do you happen to know the date of the NN issue? I'd like to dig it out of my archives. Thanks for the info Billy. I have updated the header of this thread to show your appropriate file number. Just a little wind out of my sails. Any guess on value?

dvn
05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
No sweat David. They are a lot of listings I have in my files that very few collectors are aware of. I actually have enough Lincoln cent varieties to probably do a 5000 page encyclopedia. It's just so much stuff. I'm sure CONECA as well as Wexler also have tons of stuff in their files that many have not seen or been published yet either.

That's why I shy away from the term "Discovered by" in my listings and publishing. With more and more collectors searching and different attributer's (filing systems) to chose from -- it's for all intents and purposes near impossible to cross-reference each and ever variety. This is why I use the term "Reported by" or "Submitted by" for my filing system. That way it is still correct since the person did report the variety to me or submit the variety to me. But that doesn't mean the person is the original, first discoverer of that particular variety.

edited to add photo: Attached is a photo of the specimen I came across.

http://home.sc.rr.com/dievarieties/2005centcddr8.jpg

Does your specimen have the following die markers that I have listed on mine?

Reverse: (a) Thin die cracks at the tops of the 2nd and 3rd Memorial columns. (b) Thin die crack extending horizontally across the letter "N" of UNUM. (c) Another die crack joins the lower horizontal bar of the letter "L" with the letter "U" of PLURIBUS.

car10
05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
No Billy, I can't make out any of them.

dvn
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
No Billy, I can't make out any of them.

Probably a different die state.

car10
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
That's a great photograph. Would you mind if I used it?

dvn
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
That's a great photograph. Would you mind if I used it?

As long as credit is given -- sure.

car10
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
As long as credit is given -- sure.
Absolutely, Thank you.

car10
10-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Many thanks to LCR's mustbebob for the outstanding photographs and newly added listing to the coppercoins site (http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=2005&die_id=2005p1dr024&die_state=eds). Coppercoins # 2005P-1DR-024. Thanks Bob.

jfines69
10-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Congrats David on your listings... Ask for a mill and see how hard they laugh... LOL... That should break the ice... LOL!!!

mustbebob
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
You are very welcome David. Very nice coin!

jcuve
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice addition!