PDA

View Full Version : [Tip] Book Suggestions For the Beginner

CCC
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
I have Book's that I look thru. "Looking Through Lincoln Cen't (Second Edition) by Charles D. Daughtrey, and The RPM Book Second Edition by James Wiles.

What other book's are out there that other Lincoln Cent lover's should have?

David

Steven
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Here's my book cover just nothing to go with it yet....:LOL_Hair: Just kidding

Steven
05-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Other books to start with may be to find some on coin grading, defining the differences between errors/doubled dies/damage etc. and the cherry pickers guide.
Unfortunately I don't have many books and I have to keep asking most of the time for information that is available if I had the book, such as the hard to get RPM book.

GoBotRocker
08-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey all,

One of my 1st books on the topic was "A quick reference to the Top Lincoln Cent Die Varieties", written by Wagnon, Peterson and Flynn. Good Book, B&W photos. Great reference and a guide to help with the "is this a Doubled Die or not?...

Happy hunting

Scott

1sgret
08-31-2008, 12:35 PM
CherryPickers Guide 4th ED-Vol 1 CherryPickers Guide 4th ED- Vol 2
The CherryPickers Pocket Guide (Top150) Fivaz & Stanton
Strike It Rich with Pocket Change Brian Allen & Ken Potter
The Encyclopedia of Doubled Dies (Vol 1 & 2) By John A Wexler
The Error Coin Encyclopedia (4th ED) Margolis and Weinberg (Errors and Minting)
The Lincoln Cent Doubled Die John Wexler
The RPM Book 1st ED John Wexler and Tom Miller (You have the main one 2nd ED by Dr Wiles, Expensive and hard to find) ( I found a copy today and purchased it!!!!)
A Guide Book of Lincoln Cents Q. David Bowers

And anything you can get your hands on to learn about this hobby. Pick everyone's mind because there is alot of knowledge out there. And don't for get the handy Web sites Brad has listed here. Happy Hunting Joe

Steven
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
The RPM Book 1st ED John Wexler and Tom Miller (You have the main one 2nd ED by Dr Wiles, Expensive and hard to find) ( I found a copy today and purchased it!!!!)
A Guide Book of Lincoln Cents Q. David Bowers
Joe

Congrats on purchasing "The RPM Book". Yes hard to find. I'm still looking.

1sgret
08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
:D
Congrats on purchasing "The RPM Book". Yes hard to find. I'm still looking.
If it hadn't been for you and Bob P. I would have forgotten I was looking for a copy of it several years ago.
That's where the discription of the design elements came from.

So in a round about way on your response where to find the information I contacted Bob and he steered me in the right direction and I looked in my library and remembered I did not have that reference. So I went hunting and it took awhile until I found a copy.:)

Thanks !!!!!!!! Joe

Wheat Cents
09-01-2008, 05:11 AM
The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents by John Wexler and Kevin Flynn and the "The Comprehensive Guide to Lincoln Cent Mintmark Varieties Vol1 "by John Wexler, Brian Allen, and John Bordner. Also "A Detailed Analysis Of Lincoln Cent Varieties Vol1" by Billy Crawford.

JeanK
09-21-2008, 09:03 AM
1. The Guide Book of BUFFALO AND JEFFERSON NICKELS
By Q. David Bowers

2. CHERRYPICKERS’ GUIDE To Die Varieties of United States Coins
4th Edition Vol. II by Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton

3. ANCIENT COIN COLLECTING IV Roman Provincial Coins
by Wayne G. Sayles (coins from Augustus to end of the Third Century A.D.)

4. PHOTOGRADE Official Photographic Grading Guided for United States Coins by James F. Ruddy

5. THE RPM BOOK A comprehensive Listing and Price Guide to Repunched Mint Marks & Over Mint Marks by John A. Wexler and Tom Miller (autographed)

6. THE CHERRYPICKER’S GUIDE to Rare Die Varieties
by Bill Fivaz & J. T. Stanton

7. THE LINCOLN CENT DOUBLED DIE
by John A. Wexler, NLG

8. A QUICK REFERENCE To The Top Lincoln Cent Die Varieties
by Gary Wagnon, Karen Peterson, Kevin Flynn

9. THE OFFICIAL RED BOOK A Guide Book of UNITED STATES COINS 2008
by R. S. Yeoman

10. THE OFFICIAL RED BOOK A Guide Book of UNITED STATES COINS 2009
by R. S. Yeoman

11. THE ERROR COIN ENCYCLOPEDIA Fourth Edition
by Arnold Margolis, NLG and Fred Weinberg, NLG

12. THE COMPLETE GUIDE To LINCOLN CENTS
by David W. Lange

13. THE JEFFERSON NICKEL RPM BOOK Update: 2001 – 2002
An Attribution and Pricing Guide
By James Wiles, Ph.D.

14. OVER MINTMARKS And HOT REPUNCHED MINTMARKS
by Kevin Flynn and John Wexler

15. JOJA JEMZ Reprints The popular price list catalogs (1987-1992)
by Bill Fivaz and J. T. Stanton

JeanK

coppercoins
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Most of the above listed references are very good ones.

I am currently working on the 5th edition of "The Standard Guide to the Lincoln Cent" and am working on "When a Coin is Just a Coin" - a couple of others that I would hope to find on a recommended reading list. A little about both:

"The Standard Guide to the Lincoln Cent", 5th Edition, by Dr. Sol Taylor and Charles D. Daughtrey: A comprehensive reference for Lincoln cent enthusiasts that includes an account of the history that created the Lincoln cent, from letters written by Victor D. Brenner and the U.S. Mint through the design process to newspaper articles discussing the issue of the new series from 1909.

This book will also include a photographic reference to grading Lincoln cents, with large images to help with grading skills.

Also included will be a year by year breakdown of the whole series, including charts and data showing the history of value for each issue with viewpoints of forecasting the future market for each issue.

Additionally there will be thousands of photographs of the best of all the varieties that can be found for each issue, where applicable.

Planned release date is July 15th this year.

"When a Coin is Just a Coin," by Charles D. Daughtrey: This book will be a must-have reference for pocket change searchers. It will include hundreds of photographs of the non-error "junk" that people often save as errors and varieties. Included will be machine doubling of all sorts, dryer coins, faked clips, spooned coins, ex-encased coins, stripped coins, and a whole host of other stuff that has seen some 'help' after the coin left the mint.

Planned release date is September, 2009.

JeanK
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Where does the line form for these? Pre orders available?

By the way, coppercoins.com and associates, it is wonderful what you have all done to help all of us. Without CC I would still be in the dark about copper variety coins.
THANK YOU!
Jean

nightowl
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Im surprised my puter is still able to pull up coppercoins. I live in there. Its a wonder when I wake it up it dont automatically head there. Joe

AgCollector
03-11-2009, 04:08 PM
..."When a Coin is Just a Coin," by Charles D. Daughtrey: This book will be a must-have reference for pocket change searchers. It will include hundreds of photographs of the non-error "junk" that people often save as errors and varieties. Included will be machine doubling of all sorts, dryer coins, faked clips, spooned coins, ex-encased coins...

By "ex-encased" do you mean coins that have been in a slab and since removed, or coins that have been a jewelry piece (i.e. held in a "bezel") and then removed?

RWBILLER
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
THE RED BOOK - I got one for every year since 1958 - when as a kid I started this wonderful hobby of ours - I have some that Joe listed, especially Potter's book on pocket change.
Good question!
roger

coppercoins
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
By "ex-encased" do you mean coins that have been in a slab and since removed, or coins that have been a jewelry piece (i.e. held in a "bezel") and then removed?

Ex-good-luck-coin. The good luck coins whose center coin have come out...the process of making the good luck coin smashes the rims of the coin inside, and when they come out they appear to many novices to be error coins.

coppercoins
03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Where does the line form for these? Pre orders available?

By the way, coppercoins.com and associates, it is wonderful what you have all done to help all of us. Without CC I would still be in the dark about copper variety coins.
THANK YOU!
Jean

And you are very welcome. All we do at the site is to serve the collecting public at-large, so if it helps...that's the purpose.

As for pre-orders on the aforementioned books - that will happen closer to release date. I prefer to at least have the manuscript completed and be ready for the printing process before accepting money. That way I know the book is done and out of my hands, and all that's left is paying for the printing.

Right now we are considering $34.95 as a retail price for the Standard Guide, and I still have to think about the other book's price. Playing with the idea of under $20 to keep it affordable to the new collectors with small budgets.

The Standard Guide will also be available in a very limited hard cover edition of 100 copies hand numbered and signed by both authors, but will be pricey. Current thought on the price is around $100.

nightowl
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Please post when ever you are able to accept orders. Joe

coppercoins
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Will do, no problem. I will be finished with the basics of the book by the first of May, and will be ready to start the pre-order process a couple of weeks after that.

1sgret
03-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Will do, no problem. I will be finished with the basics of the book by the first of May, and will be ready to start the pre-order process a couple of weeks after that.

Chuck: Are you going to set up a Pay Pal for the Pre-Orders on all Three? Joe

coppercoins
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I have always accepted Paypal, and am sure I will set something up for these books when they are ready to publish. Right now I am still in the beginning stages of compiling the book. Giving any payment details at this point would be placing the cart before the horse. Right now I don't even know what the final price of the book will be, or even how many pages it will have. Rest assured, once I have the information together I need to proceed with payments for the book, I will post that information here. I know it will take a certain number of pre-orders before I can even proceed with the printing process because of the expense.

garylcsr
08-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Chuck you should have my email still let me know when i can get the signed copy
i got you 2nd ed of the Lincoln cent just a few months ago. I have been doing this for years and learned more in two pages that a few years lol. and the signature don't hurt either:)

corroded
08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
That sounds like a great addition to my library and everone elses, too, Chuck!
I would like to add to the list of what every one has listed in above posts--
A Guide to Lincoln Cent Pocket change Varieties 1992-2004 (Crawford)
The Lincoln Cent RPM Book Update: 1997-2002 (Wiles)