PDA

View Full Version : A different way for cleaning those dirty pennies

simonm
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Not sure if you guys have heard of this, but I heard that putting a really dirty penny in a potato and leaving it there overnight will clean a bunch of stuff off it...so I tried I put a few in this morning and took them out a little but ago. Wow, were they looking better. (no before-after pics, I forgot, sorry :squigglemouth: ) so maybe you guys wanna try it. I know in some cases that cleaning the pennies will decrease it's value, so maybe try it on a normal penny first. If you want, you could post some before-after pictures, because I forgot to.:LOL_Hair:

have a good week

simon

RWBILLER
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM
i will try it - we certainly have alot of potatoes around.
roger

lineop3
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe I'll try it with a rotting potato. We love our taters round here.
Hate to waste one on our budget.

Aisha-

RWBILLER
12-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Aisha
Thats a good idea - my grandmother always said if you just have potatoes - you will not go hungry! But seriously - i will try it.
roger

celartu
12-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Potatoes This is new for me and I if I need something to clean several pennies, thanks for the flash

kloccwork419
12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Aisha
Thats a good idea - my grandmother always said if you just have potatoes - you will not go hungry! But seriously - i will try it.
roger

Thats no lie, I rememebr we never had much growing up but seemed to always have potatoes....:LOL_Hair:
I wonder what a french fry will look like with a MAD clash on it..lololol

CCC
12-08-2010, 06:45 PM
What are the active ingredients in a potato vs. a .....LMC. Only a metallugist knows.

JeanK
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Regular potatoes and yams are in the nightshade family and do contain a bit of arsenic.
Jean

simonm
12-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I believe that the starch in potatoes helps clean the stuff off of some pennies...

jfines69
12-09-2010, 05:14 AM
I would think it would be the electrical action that can happen when copper and potatoes are combined... I did that experiment in grade school and was able to get electrical flow... The flow of electrons could be displacing the material on the coin... Kind of a reverse plating!!!

abe
12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I've got to try this, I love tinkering...