PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Brass

DWK
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I have come across several of these over the last few years. Most of them are around here somewhere. Found this one tonite. Nice cond.

Pics of both Brass colored and copper are attached. Any idea as to value if authenticated as brass?

Shingpumps
05-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Potter has a good write up about them.
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm

DWK
05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Potter has a good write up about them.
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Brass.htm

Thanks Josh: I happened to see that Page a few days ago. So when I came across that cent I posted it.

Do you think anyone collects these? I have been throwing all yellow, purple, green etc. cents into a cup to go through sometime when I have a chance to start a rainbow collection:angel:

If any one is interested in this kind of stuff, let me know and I'll go through my cup to see what I have.

DWK

Wheat Cents
05-23-2008, 10:36 PM
People do collect brass cents..

DWK
05-24-2008, 06:42 AM
People do collect brass cents..

If anybody here is int. I have a cupful of toned and brass colored cents. I call it my "rainbow collection" Most are ugly or wierd, but some are nice.

DWK

THE PENNY MAN
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a 1991-P Brass Plated Strike up for aution now. This is EXTREMELY RARER then the others by far.

Huntin4pennies
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
I have just recently found a 1983 penny that has quite an unusual color. Im not sure if its brass or copper but the color of it is almost gold, other unusal things i have noticed is that its a little bit thicker then the pennies after the date and compared to another 1983 penny i have its also a little thicker too. its in great condition and i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if its the rare copper 1983 or just a different colored 1983. Tried doing the drop test. i noticed that the goldish 1983 sounded more like a thud when i dropped it compared to a "ring" when i dropped my other '83'. Any suggestions as to what i could have? any help would be much appreciated.

jcuve
06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I have just recently found a 1983 penny that has quite an unusual color. Im not sure if its brass or copper but the color of it is almost gold, other unusal things i have noticed is that its a little bit thicker then the pennies after the date and compared to another 1983 penny i have its also a little thicker too. its in great condition and i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out if its the rare copper 1983 or just a different colored 1983. Tried doing the drop test. i noticed that the goldish 1983 sounded more like a thud when i dropped it compared to a "ring" when i dropped my other '83'. Any suggestions as to what i could have? any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. It may be hard, but we'd need to know the weight of the coin. It could have been plated with any assortment of metals post mint changing the color and making it appear thicker. There are other explanations of course but we need more info. I would also suggest photographing the coin, starting a new thread, posting the pics and any other info.