PDA

View Full Version : 1984 LMC Ejection doubling ?

closelook
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't seen anything like this before, It only happened on (IN and GO in GOD). Is this some type of ejection doubling or something else.

Steven
05-25-2008, 05:49 AM
This does not appear to be ejection doubling but looks like it would be die deterioration, possibly caused by the pressure onto the plachets erroding the die after a while. Notice the flow is radiating toward the rim. Below is an example of ejection doubling (damage).
Also below is a 1992D that I believe is die deterioration due to a similar cause by pressure erroding the die by pushing the metal of the planchet in the direction of the rim. Thus continued use eventually damaging the die in this manner.
The 1986 pictured below is yet another example of what I believe is die deterioration caused by pressure of the die on the planchets causing damage. Note the metal flow appears pushed from near the 6 in the date toward the rim and there is also a raised area near the rim that appears to be forced from pressure on the planchet.

Just my opinion though. Lets see what other opinions are.

CCC
05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I beleive your right Steven. Good example.

closelook
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Could die deterioration go past the die and into the lip of the rim. Pic #4 shows it the best on the N . The impressoin looks stamped into the rim. Just trying to under stand this coin better.

CCC
05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Could die deterioration go past the die and into the lip of the rim. Pic #4 shows it the best on the N . The impressoin looks stamped into the rim. Just trying to under stand this coin better.

The entire coin is pressed by a die both obverse and reverse. If you notice the sides of the letter's are starting to fill in. This is where the die is weak and starting to dissapear. If you notice the top of IN the die is still intact. It's not breaking down. It does go to the rim but it is a normal coin at those points. I hope that makes sense.

fugnchill
05-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi guys, quick question about this damage. I saw this recently on a 1992 without the deterioration on the letters. Isn't this caused by a tilted planchet that settles into the collar or tilted die which also creates the thicker rim on the opposite side? Reason I think this is because die deterioration creates a raised design. On this coin, the entire surface of the die would be deteriorated (raised) except for those points above the word IN. Or am I just over thinking this?

P.S. - I've been a member for a little while now but this is my first post... Love the site guys! :)