PDA

View Full Version : Something I have noticed

simonm
01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi everyone, I hope you have a had a good new years. I was thinking, and was a little curious, as to why the younger generation does not seem to be as into numismatics. I, being 16 and a sophmore in high school, am constantly asked why I find coins so intriguing, as one person put it today "I'm pretty sure that they're made for buying stuff, not for looking at. I don't get why it's interesting. It seems pretty boring." They then proceeded to go back to their computer and play music really loudly and attempt to have a conversation at the same time :LOL_Hair: . Anyways, if anybody wants to weigh in on why the hobby seems to have died down with each generation, feel free to post. I absolutely love the hobby and would be thrilled to get some friends involved in it.

simon

atarian
01-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Well heres how i look at it and it goes for coins and paper money

1. Uncool and unpopular with peers
2. girls are more interesting
3.) cars are faster
4. Kids today cant hold attention on any longer than 2 minutes unless its # 2 or 3.
5.) noone catches them early in life to get them hooked.
6.)if they hear money is to be made in it they want the money without the work .
7. kids dont know what it is to make an effort on most things.

Not all kids are like this but id say the majority are. your results may vary. In a world driven by *** and speed and high tech have it now and faster. this is how i see it.

Brad
01-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Seems like most Kids have interest when they are young, then lose interest in Junior High and High School, then regain interest after college when they have spending $.

georoxx
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
1. It shouldn't (and doesn't for we who are numies) matter what others think about our hobby. Being a "coin geek" is cool.
2. As soon as X-BOX releases Coin-Star, everybody will find out what they've been missing.

-George

This just in... I have been told that the name Coin-Star is already taken. Maybe Wii will release Wii-WAM. Who knows?

lineop3
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
That's funny G. Wii-WAM! HA!

Aisha

atarian
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Xbox 360-Die-Chip hero. The little chunk.

or my favorite

Dub this Class a tutorial of doubling classes. Fun for the whole numismatist.

simonm
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I believe the Wii is creating the counter(wii)fit, where you have a pile of 1943 bronzes, and have to look through them, tossing out the plated ones to find the real one :LOL_Hair:

DoubleYou
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I am 18, a freshman in college, and a numismatist. I love it and don't plan to quit yet (if I ever do).

As to why my peers don't collect coins, I don't know. Personally I know at least two other young numismatists. I am the smartest of them (he-he). Girls/guys definitely are a real distraction to most. Why ain't I distracted? That question is above my pay grade...

Wendell

RWBILLER
01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
simon
when i was youn - there were alot of us that collected coins till about the age of 13 - then other things took there place. You will notice alot of older people going back to collecting - this is the baby boom generation that is re-living there childhood.
thx
roger

copperlover
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
I must say that most of the young people who collect coins mostly look at things that look different . They like foreign coins and $2 bills and silver series dollar bills
and that kind of money because it is cool. They have never read what makes a coin rare or scarce or valuable. They also will look at a coin which is 100 years old. In my
part of Maryland they can give you stats on football and baseball any time of day but
no one has shown them much about coins except at the coin shows.
Lucien

mustbebob
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
My take on it is that most of the younger generation just don't have the patience to do what we do. It really does take persistence, but once they have a nice find or two, they seem to get better with it. I do seminars with the girl and boy scouts about coin collecting, and when they are that young, their attention span doesn't seem to last very long.

DWK
01-15-2011, 07:59 PM
simon
when i was youn - there were alot of us that collected coins till about the age of 13 - then other things took there place. You will notice alot of older people going back to collecting - this is the baby boom generation that is re-living there childhood.
thx
roger

Roger: Right on. I think you described a lot of us oldies. I avidly collected in my teens. (In the 50s). I think I threw away a lot of pennies with doubling. I think I read that minor doubling wasn't collectible. Oh well.

From mid 60s till after Y2K I was too busy with family and business but was still casually interested. About 5 years ago I got hooked again because I have more time for it.

Its better than gambling, because you can always at least break even.:angel:

Dave Kearns

mitchell12
01-29-2011, 08:23 AM
That is an good hobby of yours. i do have few different states coins with me. but then it is not my hobby. speaking about new it really went on good.

Cheap Lexus Accessories